How Long Should Defragmenting Take?

kevindickens001 12:21 26 Oct 07

I recently tried to defragment my pc for the first time (the pc is 3 months old with Windows Vista). After more than 4 hours the process was not complete and I had to cancel it. I was quite surprised since on my much older laptop (Windows XP), defragmenting takes 30 minutes max. Is there something wrong with my PC?

Thanks a lot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 26 Oct 07

How big is the hard drive?

Defragmenting will take much longer on a larger drive.

kevindickens001 12:28 26 Oct 07

Hard-drive is 500GB.

keef66 12:37 26 Oct 07

had an 80gb hard drive which hadn't been defragged for a while. Defrag ran for an hour then said it couldn't complete because the disk was too full. Cloned the lot onto a new 250 gig HDD, then defrag said it didn't need to be done. Did it anyway, but it only took 20 mins. I suspect most of the defragmentation had been done at the first attempt on the old disk

Mavisk 13:23 26 Oct 07

Download click here
Its free,works with Vista,and takes a fraction of the
time windows does.

mymate 13:41 26 Oct 07

This is excellent and is free as well click here

I have Diskeeper Pro on my computer but i put Iobit on a friends computer and it works just as well for her

robert01 13:45 26 Oct 07

You could always try starting the pc in safe mode and then running it - I find that helps as otherwise all the background programs interrupt and slow down the defrag.

johnem 19:23 26 Oct 07

Agree with Mavisk, great software.

laurie53 19:37 26 Oct 07

Going back to the original question, I would not have thought four hours or more was over long for 500 gig.

gel 19:45 26 Oct 07

I once defragged for 8 hours but all was well in the end.
I now use Auslogics refered to above
It is easy very colorful and quick
gel

rdave13 20:51 26 Oct 07

Using Auslogics on both PC's; an old Time desktop with an Athlon 2400 took 9 and a half hours. On a newish laptop with Celeron 1.7 GHz took 35 minutes and both have the same amount of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…