How long before mailwasher has a major effect?

ripvan 17:38 21 Oct 04

Like many others I have a problem with spam.When you look some of the emails originated months ago and they are usually to alphabetically consecutive NTL email accounts.I have had mailwasher on for about a month now and I bounce all emails I can.I am still getting a dozen a day.Am I using it properly?I have not set anything on it.Is there an alternative that is as easy to set up?

Flak999 17:42 21 Oct 04

If I were you I would'nt bounce the emails, it just lets the spammers know that they have a "live 0ne". I used to bounce and used to get much more spam than i do now that i dont bounce, just delete them. All you are doing by bouncing them back is in effect becoming a spammer yourself and adding to the general slowdown of the internet!

Dorsai 18:15 21 Oct 04

I dont suggest bouncing..

Try yourself, and send an email to a nonexistant eddress.. You will get it bounced back to you within a couple of minutes, give or take...

YOu get some spam, sent by the spammer at 3pm, but dont check your mail till 5:30 when you get home from work, and bounce it, they get the bounce over two hours later, so then know you got it, but bounced it.

For a bounce to be effective you would have to bounce it the very second it arrived, so it looks like it never arrived.

Most e-mial is delivered very fast, just e-mail yourself, and see. so even a 20min later bounce probably gives it away.

And dont trust the date/time sent, this is the date and time as per the sending PC. So if the spammer sets his PC up with the wrong time/date, this is the time/date you see.

My girlfriend keeps getting spam, and it all has a time on it many hours before the time she recieved it. so when she sees a mail sent tomorrow, but recieved today she just deletes it, unread.

IMO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…