How long does a computer scan take?

geek84 12:13 PM 17 Apr 13

Hi folks

I have the Virgin Media virus scanner installed on my desk top. This morning I decided to do a full scan 0f my PC. The scan is still in progress and it is coming up to 7 hours from when I started the scan!

Does this mean that there are a lot of viruses on the PC? Have I done something wrong when starting the scan?

Shall I cancel this scan process and start again?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chronos the 2nd 12:18 PM 17 Apr 13

I think that 7 hours is rather long but it is dependant on the how many hard-drives you are scanning and their sizes.

As it happens I am running a full scan now and it is only up to 77% after three hours but I do have 3 HDD's to scan.

wiz-king 12:25 PM 17 Apr 13

Depends on the scanner - takes about 4 hours on my system with a built in program, but an online scanner would take longer.

geek84 12:28 PM 17 Apr 13

Thanks guys

BT 17:25 PM 17 Apr 13

MacAfee takes several hours on my PC, including the external 500gb drive.

nickf 11:08 AM 20 Apr 13

WOW ! I don't think I have ever had a full scan take more than 40 mins on my PC and I have 2 drives . I tried out the Virgin media scanner , and was thoroughly unimpressed with its performance and results . I use Bitdefender , and IObit ( free version ) as a back up .

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites