How long does a CD last : lost information.

immer 14:35 30 Jul 03

I have been dismayed to find that some of my CD writing has not lasted very long. OK I'm now on a 40x12x48 and my old writer was so slow I've forgotten what it was, but my file from Oct 2001 became unreadable. I got "Badcopy Pro" and was able to recover some items, but not all.
Has anyone else had dissapointments when looking back on old files, and are we supposed to do anything to keep them workable ?
From "Immer"

Confab 15:10 30 Jul 03

Yes loads of times especailly CDRW's.

Best thing I can suggest is turn off all running apps when buring. Burn at the slowest possible speeds, use good quality CDR's and don't use CDRW's.

jimv7 16:27 30 Jul 03

Store in a cool dry enviroment.

Stuartli 16:35 30 Jul 03

...out of the light....:-)

hugh-265156 16:42 30 Jul 03

as Confab above.use good quality media.make sure there is nothing else running while burning and look after the disc well. even though your drive is capable of 40x12x48 doesnt mean that it will work well at that speed with all discs.i have a fast cd drive and find that burning at x8 or even x4 gives good results every only takes a few extra minutes.i think purchased discs are only expected to last around 10 years or so although i have discs older than this and they still work fine.

caast©? 17:03 30 Jul 03

I have two PC's with fast CD Writers and my very old work horse Tower. This has SCSI reader and old SCSI 4x writer. As they are networked I tend to use the tower because writing to CD does not interfere with any other processing work that may be going on. When writing it is advisable to make sure nothing can interrupt the process such as other running apps as Confab suggests. If you do a lot of writing it could be worth investing in SCSI which will do the job without using the processor

graham√ 17:36 30 Jul 03

On behalf of immer, I would like to thank all those who went out of their way to answer the question and provide such expert advice. All this without any thought of thanks or reward.

Diemmess 17:58 30 Jul 03

Echo most of what has been said, particularly in paying attention to good blanks and burning at the slowest speed that you can bear to use.

It is a pity, but just as floppy disks seemed to fail arbitrarily after so many uses and sheer age, the innocent looking data on your archived files my go unreadable even sitting in its jacket on the shelf.

Recording makes minute dents in a very stiff jelly/aluminium backing, and after a time the medium recovers and bye-bye all that precious data!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…