How long does an average hard drive last?

CurlyWhirly 23:32 01 Nov 04

Hi. I have a SMART hard drive health monitoring program installed and on MOST days I don't get ANY warnings but occasionally I get a "T.E.C. (Threshold Exceeded Condition) warning" and basically it means a probable warning of a disk failure.

How reliable are these monitoring programs as (say) the next day after receiving a TEC warning everything goes back to normal!
I have a Western Digital hard drive. Are these a good make?
By the way I have 4333 hours displayed under 'Power on hours count', is this a particularly high figure for hours in use?
I am hoping my hard drive lasts until Microsoft release Longhorn where I will then upgrade to a SATA drive, 64 bit processer and PCI Express.
What does anyone think of the chances of this drive lasting?

Giggle n' Bits 23:46 01 Nov 04

I would get the WD HDD Diagnostic utility and test the drive manually yourself from the following link.

click here

HDD's can last a day or 9 years just depends on luck, conditions of use, temperature, vibration, knocks lots of things. there's no chance of a sensible reply its the case of how's long a bit of string matey.

PSF 23:48 01 Nov 04

click here For some diagnostic tools to check out your hard drive.

I think they normally rate drive at approx 50,000 hours which is about 5 years continuous use.

CurlyWhirly 23:49 01 Nov 04

Thanks. I will download your link and I agree it was a bit of a silly question in the first place!

CurlyWhirly 23:49 01 Nov 04

Thanks aswell. Resolved.

CurlyWhirly 00:04 02 Nov 04

I have just run the WD HDD Diagnostic utility and I am glad to say that my drive passed ALL the tests so it looks like I was worrying about nothing!

fly2hi 00:18 02 Nov 04

I must be lucky. I'm still using Clipper '87 on my old 486 with it's original hard drive

CurlyWhirly 21:51 02 Nov 04

Yes you must indeed be lucky!
By the way what make is this hard drive just out of curiousity?

Jonno131 22:18 02 Nov 04

Coming late to this topic, but I read somewhere that the 50,000 hours referred to is one of those totally meaningless figures beloved of techheads. It actually means that if you run 50,000 HDs for an hour one of them will fail. A bit like velocity measured in furlongs per fortnight!

josie mayhem 22:48 02 Nov 04

I have an old seagate drive, that just about holds win98 on it. It is semi retired now, and spends most of it's time sat on a shelf.

I have used it now on several occassion when I've been asked to sort out a computer that has had a maga crash, and norman means of using xp won't sort it out. So I've piggy-backed it on to the problem drive, and used it to break in and reformat, to start all over again.

CurlyWhirly 23:17 02 Nov 04

It actually means that if you run 50,000 HDs for an hour one of them will fail. A bit like velocity measured in furlongs per fortnight!

Hi. I thought PSF meant that the average hard drive would work for 50,000 hours NOT as you say that if you run 50,000 hard drives for an hour one of them will fail!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced