How long can USB cable be?

y_not 18:40 17 Mar 03

Using Melcam security software I want to add a webcam to monitor the outside of my house.

I have a pc (which can do the job) around 6 metre away from where I want to mount the webcam. Can I use a USB cable of this length or is there another way to set this up, please?

Background is my wifes car was vandalised just a couple of weeks ago and next time I have to ring the police it would be nice to say "...and I have pictures of the offenders!"

spikeychris 18:46 17 Mar 03

You cant run a USB that far unless you add a hub.

click here

Chris

MAJ 18:49 17 Mar 03

It depends on what the webcam can take, y_not, it might state a maximum usable length in the manual. I can understand what you're trying to do and why. I notice they sell security stuff like that on QVC every so often and it seems to be a reasonable price. So if you can't get your webcam to work properly with a longer cable, it might be worth a look at the QVC website or even the TV program itself.

cream. 19:01 17 Mar 03

You may have a few problems with this setup. Is the webcam to be sited outside or peering through a window.

If it is to be outside then it probably will not be weather proof.

The picture quality through a window or at a distance will probably be poor.

The longest standard usb lead I have seen is 5 metre's.

You might consider this as an alternative.

We had a small prob of the odd sweet doggy leaving deposits in our drive, well they can't reach up to those high doggy-pooh bins and do there business, can they.

So we installed two security camera's to sweep the drive from different directions. We then dropped the occasional hint here and there. eg. pub and shop. Then suddenly all the deposits stop.

I installed them myself in about 1 hour. One is black and white and one colour. Price £30 + £50.
They are linked up to a video recorder and can record 8 hours of very good quality video.

When there is nowt on the telly they do provide some excellent entertainment.

y_not 19:07 17 Mar 03

Many thanks for the replies.

The interest in using a webcam is that the software compares each frame and, unless the picture changes (and you can set the sensitivity of the software) it doesn't record - saving HDD space and hours of fast-forward to find an event.

I think that I can get away with a 5 metre cable and the camera will be protected from the weather by the guttering & roof.

Time to start trawling the net for the best specification .......

Again, thanks for the replies

Tony

y_not 19:07 17 Mar 03

Many thanks for the replies.

The interest in using a webcam is that the software compares each frame and, unless the picture changes (and you can set the sensitivity of the software) it doesn't record - saving HDD space and hours of fast-forward to find an event.

I think that I can get away with a 5 metre cable and the camera will be protected from the weather by the guttering & roof.

Time to start trawling the net for the best specification .......

Again, thanks for the replies

Tony

woodchip 19:10 17 Mar 03

You also have to have Date Time stamp for it to be legal

Megatyte 19:12 17 Mar 03

Methinks that the deposits didn't stop, but that the cameras were sweeping the drive... ;-)

cream. 19:19 17 Mar 03

Ain't technology wonderful. lol

If I put a camera in the lounge will this mean no more sweeping carpets?????????

mole44 20:31 17 Mar 03

never mind sweep what about sue and sooty,rofl.

wee eddie 19:07 18 Mar 03

reported in the Press.

You will need planning permission if you intend to cover any area Outside your dwelling, with a Security Camera.

Don't ask me why! It will probably be an invasion of some "little darlings" Human Rights

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…