How long to boot? (XP Pro)

Cook2 00:42 02 Feb 04

Couple of blokes at work were talking about boot-up times. One said his takes about 5 minutes and the other said about 45 secs.

I checked mine and it takes 2 mins. 14 secs.

Is this good, bad or average?

Forum Editor 00:57 02 Feb 04

A clean installation of XP Pro will boot in less than thirty seconds. By coincidence I have spent part of today setting up a new machine in my home office. It has XP Pro, MS Office 2003, Photoshop, Macromedia Studio MX, Adobe Acrobat, MS FrontPage 2003, Lotus Notes, and a few other programmes installed (so far) and a quick test has just shown that it boots from scratch in 28 seconds.

A couple of things that will slow the process are having lots of utilities or background applications loading at start-up and having too many fonts installed.

powerless 00:59 02 Feb 04

Depends what you have to start when XP starts, defragmentation of files, services...

Also I would take "boot up times" as from the moment you push the power switch to a workable desktop.

2 mins is alright, but you could try and reduce it if you wanted to.

Cook2 01:12 02 Feb 04

The icons on the bottom right are for

Zone Alarm
AdSubtract Pro
Avast on-line scanner
Avast virus recovery database
Intervideo WinCinema Manager
3D Audio configuration
and Quicktime

Any suggestions what I should get rid of and how please?

powerless 01:16 02 Feb 04

AdSubtract Pro BigFix InCD Intervideo WinCinema 3D Audio configuration Quicktime

Click Start, Run, Type:

Click OK.

Click Startup. Uncheck the boxes...

Reference click here

powerless 01:18 02 Feb 04

You'll have to start this manually from the start menu if you disbale it.

Cook2 01:27 02 Feb 04

Thanks Powerless, I'll follow your instructions in the morning.

Quiller. 06:41 02 Feb 04

Just timed mine on a warm re-boot. 26 seconds click here

This is slower than normal, it's usually 21 seconds but I have installed a few programmes lately that I have not tweaked.

Do as powerless suggests and also check for what other usb devices you have plugged in beside your printer. These can slow boot up down, especially card readers and camera's.

Cook2 14:04 02 Feb 04

Acting on advice so far and disabling RAID, previous advise in this forum, my boot is now down to 1 min 43 secs. I'd be happy to get it down to 1 min. I'll have a little hunt around and see what else I can find.

Thanks for all the help so far. GC

Cook2 14:08 02 Feb 04

bsod. I guess you live up north with all that snow.

Djohn 14:20 02 Feb 04

From a clean install of XP Pro. only. Then from pressing the power button on the tower unit it took 19 seconds to a working desktop. Now with all programs loaded "Office XP", Publisher, Adobe elements, Autoroute 2004, Encarta, Nero, and all associated programs for scanner, printer, camera, all drivers and Broadband it takes 25 seconds from pressing the button to full working desktop. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…