How to link computers?

rallypilot 20:06 01 Jul 03

I have a six-month old Evesham desktop which I am happy with, apart from it being noisy. I will shortly be replacing my laptop and would like to know how to connect the two machines together so I can put all the stuff I've been working on while I've been away with the laptop straight on to the main machine.
I've tried reading XP help etc but I can't made head nor tail of all this ethernet, network hubs, IEEE *** and things.
Surely someone could tell me in plain English what kit I need and how to connect it? I'm using BT broadband with their external modem.
Thanks very much

taking it that you do not a have a cd burner , perhaps the easiest thing you could do would be to use a Parallel file transfer cable connected between the parallel ports . therefore you will only have to buy the one thing and xp has all the software and instructions built in to do this.

powertool 20:43 01 Jul 03

I can vouch for the fact that using a direct cable connection as described by horiz5 is quite straightforward and XP has a wizard which more or less does it for you.

The only thing is that I find it quite slow to bring large files over a thin wire so if you have a lot to transfer I would go for cd burning or you could get one of those plug in USB thingys which have come down in price and I am told are really and truly plug and play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…