How to know how much networked PC is downloading?

jediknight007 03:00 22 May 03

Hi, I have just networked my PC to my brother's so that we could share broadband. Before, I was reluctant to do so since I knew this would affect my downloads. I used to always get about 50Kbps downloads and I wanted it to stay this way until I was forced to share my broadband. Although I have told my brother that if I want to download a big file, then he won't be allowed to download anything at the same time so that my downloads don't slow down. However, sometimes he could also start downloading and I might not know. Is there a way to check how much of the connection he is using so that I know when he is downloading something big? Regards.

Squall 10:41 22 May 03

to your brothers pc

BeeWee 12:01 22 May 03

you could always ask him! why don't you come to some arrangement for each of you to have time to d/l files?

jediknight007 18:02 22 May 03

Well, I installed a network card in both our PCs and connected them with a RJ45 crossover cable.

Well, I pay for the broadband myself, £21.99 a month which might be one of the cheapest out there but not cheap to me. So it would make sense that I am able to do what I want with it. So is there some kind of problem to monitor internet usage of both our PCs, or at least see how much stuff is being sent from the net, through my PC, through the crossover cable to his PC? I usually download quite big files and therefore, need as much as speed as possible.

Also, I usually get a message at the bottom-right saying that a network cable has been unplugged. Does this mean that he switched off his computer or something or that there is a problem with my crossover cable (made by Belkin)?

jediknight007 18:03 22 May 03

So is there some kind of program, not problem! Lol

jediknight007 20:04 22 May 03

:)

jediknight007 00:59 23 May 03

:) 2

Squall 08:51 23 May 03

do you use?

If you use XP, you can go into task manager, select the network tab and get a visual indication of how much traffic is going down a particular connection. It should show you how much traffic is going between yours and your brothers pc.

You never said how you share your connection to your brother, do you use internet connection sharing? If you do disable it and download a proxy server for your machine, netproxy is a resonably good one and it is free. click here . With this you will be able to give your brother an account for the proxy server and set various options such as the time of day he is allowed to connect and so on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…