How to Kill WMCE, install Win XP?

adopted.son 02:57 02 Jul 08

I've discovered that WMCE will not support the driver to my newly- acquired M-Audio Uno usb midi interface. I've asked around and have come up with a solution that suits me as I don't care for Media Center anyway- I want to do computer music production/recording. Kill the WMCE os and install XP, which I can purchase online in a number of outlets. I need a walkthrough since I haven't any experience that deep. I can install basic things through the control panel, but when it comes to advanced things like that, I need help. Thanks so much. As usual, I feel like the big mooch because I don't have any good advice to offer anyone, but always need it! You all are the best!
Blessings!
eric

ambra4 03:49 02 Jul 08

“How to install Windows XP Home or XP Pro”

click here

adopted.son 05:32 02 Jul 08

ambra4:
thanks for the link! now how do i kill Media Center?

ambra4 11:45 02 Jul 08

When you format the hard drive it will delete Media Centre and all the data on the hard drive and just install XP

ambra4 11:57 02 Jul 08

Make sure that you back up the data that you want to keep as on a cd or second hard drive before installing XP

adopted.son 15:02 02 Jul 08

*chuckle, chuckle*
Did I ever mention that I'm the one for whom they wrote all those "for dummies" books?
I'd suppose I can find direction on how to format my hdd in my helps in the start menu tab, yes?

ambra4 16:41 02 Jul 08

Take a read on the link “How to install Windows XP Home or XP Pro” that I sent it

would give you a step by step guide on booting the CD, formatting the hard drive,

installing XP Etc

Jollyjohn 21:35 02 Jul 08

Are you using MCE2005 Edition? If so this runs on WXP home. If you disable MCE from the start up menu you will be left with XP.

adopted.son 20:25 07 Jul 08

Hi, all:
Forgive the time warp as I've been out of town attending to a relative's recent demise.
Ambra:
Many thanks. I'll give this a whirl most soon. Keep ya posted.
Jollyjohn:
Not sure the version as this is a fefurb'd gateway, possibly an '05, that I got this Spring from eBay with the OS already in it. (and no Office, can u imagine that?)
I do know that I never booted up Media Center. M-Audio's FAQs state that WMCE doesn't support 3rd party drivers and my computer won't start the driver I downloaded for my M-Audio midi usb interface...
Thanks and regards,
eric

Jollyjohn 21:58 07 Jul 08

Hi

Okay, try this. On the main screen when the computer starts it lists music radio etc and settings, select settings, general, start up behaviour and untick "Start media center when windows starts"
Reboot and you will be presented with that lovely default windows desktop!

woodchip 22:46 07 Jul 08

All you need is Killdisk click here to clear the drive. You will need all the drivers for the computer hardware. Run killdisk to clear all the drive of partition info and everything on the drive. then start with XP CD in drive to set it up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced