how to keep site the same at all resolutions???

trowel 17:11 05 Jan 04

Can anyone help? My website was created at my monitor native resolution (1152X864) and looks ok as this res, but if you veiw it at 800X600 things have moved around and it looks messy. Is there any way to avoid this and no matter what res you view it at- it looks as it should?the site was created with front page 2002.Thanks Trowel.

Taran 19:00 05 Jan 04

Well, there are two solutions, one quite simple, the other less so.

You can design at 800x600 by default and accept that higher monitor resolutions will have a band of unused space on each page, or you can assign percentage values to your page layouts.

For a very crude example, let's say you create a new site page.

Now let's say you put a single cell table on the page, but you assign a table width of 90% instead of a pixel width. This means that the table and anything in it will always occupy 90% or the available screen width, regardless of resolution.

Now let's say you add another table inside the first one with three rows and two columns, but set it's width at 100%.

You have a main table that will always be 90% of the browser window with a layout table inside it that will always be 100% of the main table width (90% of the avialable screen width). It sounds far more compex than it actually is.

Merge the cells in the top row of the second table you added, then merge the cells in the bottom row. You now have a header space for a logo or banner, a footer space for your copyright statement, and a main content window area divided into two. Give the to and bottom cells of the layout table height dimensions in pixels if you like.

Now let's say you make the left cell of the main content window 120 pixels wide by giving this value to the cell in the cell properties. This is usually about wide enough for standard width navigation buttons, hyperlinks and what have you. Your right cell will contain the main page content and since you have a 100% table width combined with a specified pixel width of the left navigation button cell, the content cell should resize on the fly depending on the screen resolution it is viewed at.

As I say, this is a very crude example and not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but it works and should get you thinking about your layouts in terms of percentages instead of your own computers native resolution.

Percentage layouts are fluid and cater to the majority of resolutions, but they have some issues that may need to be dealt with.

Before we go into the possible downsides though, just try an experiment based on what I've said above and see where you get.

PurplePenny 23:11 05 Jan 04

... try different browsers - your site probably won't even look the same even at the same resolution :-(

Ben Avery 13:51 06 Jan 04

If you experience difficulties in different browsers, help is always at hand. Penny is very nice and usually manages to test you page for you in Opera browser.

I'll happily test any in Opera or Netscae also if required, just email me.

trowel 20:17 06 Jan 04

Thankyou Ben we will let you know if we get stuck -it's nice to know that the offer of help is there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…