How to keep my laptop clean?

blackburnrover 14:44 27 May 06

Hi,

Quick question I have ordered a new laptop but I only want it for Office applications and maybe a few small games. This means I will not be needing to connect to the internet with it and I dont really want to, I would like some suggestions on how to keep my laptop clean from any threats? I will be only transferring data via USB 2.0 and CD's and im not sure if this could could my laptop harm but better to be safe than sorry.

So would it be a good idea to get
A registry cleaner?
Anti Virus (knowing I can keep it updated very easily)?
Spyware & Adware?
Others? (Please suggest)

Please any suggestions?

Cheers

blackburnrover

rawprawn 14:57 27 May 06

Registry Cleaner RegScrubXP click here
Anti Virus click here
Ewido Anti Spyware click here
If you are not connecting to the web you are being very cautious

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 27 May 06

You will need to connect to get updates for your Antivirus and Antispyware otherwise its a waste of time installing them if not kept up-to-date.

blackburnrover 15:05 27 May 06

If you were in my situation what would you install?

I might be being cautious but I ain't had the best of luck with computers and transferring data is the only thing that is worrying me.

Belatucadrus 15:48 27 May 06

The problem is that by transferring files via USB2, you lay yourself open to whatever nasties have been picked up by whoever provided the content. They probably will be on the net and depending on them to have good coverage isn't a good idea.

click here

rawprawn 15:54 27 May 06

Well spotted!!!

rawprawn 16:01 27 May 06

Just a thought, you could always load them (AV and Ewido) onto a CD and update them on there then run them on your laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:02 27 May 06

A good FREE security setup that will not use to many resources is:

Anivirus (one only)
Avast4 click here
or AVG antivirus click here

Firewall:
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti spy/mal ware:
Spywareblaster click here (as a blocker)
Windows Defender click here (real time scanner)
AdAware click here (weekly scanner to catch anything the others ay have let through)

You will be well protected even if using the web.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…