How to join a Network Group from another...

Ronyap 21:11 05 May 08

Hi,

I have 2 laptops and 2 PCs. 1 Laptop and 1 Pc is XP, the other 2 Vista.

The thing is, One of my Vista Laptops is somehow blocking income. I have all of my computers connected on a network. Basically, I can open and view folders on my other 3 Computers using my Laptop Vista,however, I cannot access this laptops' files using my other 3 computers.

I think I know the problem. Its that I have a Workgroup called MSHOME with my other 3 computers. This Laptop Vista I got recently, so I don't know much about it, and just connected to the home network. However, it seemed to join under the name: 'Workgroup'.

So I was wondering, maybe if I joined the MSHOME Network group on my Vista Laptop, it might start accepting the others. The thing is...how. I can't find anything under 'Network and Sharing Centre'

Thanks in advance

Ditch999 09:37 06 May 08

Article from MS about this click here

brundle 09:38 06 May 08

Press Windows+R, type sysdm.cpl, change computer name/workgroup from there.

Ditch999 09:39 06 May 08

So yes you are correct. The Workgroup must be the same and you must have the same User Accounts and Passwords on all PCs

Ronyap 13:05 06 May 08

OK, Thanks, I have now changed all of my computers to MSHOME.

But my latest computer is still being stubborn.

My other computers cannot access THIS Vista Laptop's files EXCEPT for the 'Public' folder.
What does that mean?

Also, THIS Vista Laptop can access my other Vista Computer's files.

ONe more thing...THIS Vista Laptop can only 'see' my other vista computer, it can't 'see' my other two XP computers through 'Network', whereas my OTHER Vista Desktop can see eveything.

Any help appreciated...

PS. What happened to the 'Add a network place' that used to be on XP? They got rid of that and instead placed a system where network computers are automatically detected and displayed? Well thats not happening in my case.

PS (2). I have Zonealarm Firewall on both my Vista COmputers. I have also disabled it so it can't be my firewall.

Ronyap 13:13 06 May 08

Ok, XP Computers have now turned up on THIS Vista Laptop. I guess it just takes a long time to load XP computers. As expected, I can access them, but I can't access THIS Vista Laptop on those computers EXCEPT the Public folder.

OK Im stumped. At the moment, I can only transfer files by going on THIS Vista Laptop and transferring it that way.

Ronyap 13:16 06 May 08

OK I fixed it and I feel soooo stupid. Ive fixed this problem before on my other Vista computer.

OMG

All I had to do was Properties on Folder being shared > Security Tab > Edit > Add > Type in name 'Everyone' and give full permission.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017