How to isolate my PC from the online gaming PC

GoingGrey 20:31 02 Jul 07

Our current system comprises a desktop, my laptop and a family laptop.

Connection to the internet is via a dratek Vigor2800G.

The desktop is a wired connection and the laptops wireless. We all share the same printer which is connected to the USB socket on the router.

The family want to use the family laptop for online gaming and in the future there will no doubt be a gaming console.

I want to keep the desktop and my laptop isolated and secure from the
family laptop and any gaming console. We all need access though to the printer.

I was thinking that a way to achieve my goal would be to get another router (possibly a linksys WAG200G) to which I would connect my desktop and laptop.

The family laptop and gaming console to connect to the existing draytek, which would be plugged into the telephone line.

I would then connect the two routers.

However I am not sure if this would work and whether we would all be able to still use the same printer? Is there an easier way?

Thanks

mgmcc 20:58 02 Jul 07

If you install a firewall such as Zone Alarm and don't allow access to the IP addresses of the other computers in the network, they won't have access to any shared folders.

Your router will have a DHCP pool from which it allocates IP addresses to networked computers. As an example, this pool might be 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.30 so you could give your own PC and Laptop fixed IP addresses such as 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51 which are outside the DHCP pool.

Then, in the firewalls in your own computers, only allow access to the two IP addresses 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.51

GoingGrey 19:12 04 Jul 07

Mgmcc

Thanks for the advice, but I don’t know how to give my computers specific IP addresses?

On the router under DHCP set up it shows Start IP as 192.168.1.10 with a IP pool of 50 and a gateway address 192.168.1.1

The Lan IP network configuration is disabled, but shows the 1st IP address as 192.168.1

The system status shows a LAN with a Mac address, a WAN Mac address which is different to the LAN looks like next in series.

A wireless LAN with the laptops Mac address.

My firewall is Norton 360, which under Networking shows the Mac address for the LAN and states its limited access for email and internet only. I cant see that I can restrict to specific IP addresses.

Also on exploring my computer and the family laptop, I am not sure I have got a network?

Under my network places is an icon mshome, but no computers are listed and when I click on the icon I am told I don’t have access - but I am the administrator - I can only assume I didn’t set the network up?

Under mshome on the family laptop it just shows the family laptop and a shared printer but when I try to explore what is available under the laptop I am told I don’t have access.

I think when I first got the router and the laptop I was under the impression that you had to set up an network in order for laptop to connect to the internet – since learned that was not necessary, but it was a while ago.

I have checked my computer and none of the folders are shared. At this stage I am not too worried about networking between the computers as I don’t think I will be sharing /transferring info.

So that brings me back to isolating my computer from the family laptop which is going to be used for online gaming, which I understand will require various ports on the router to be opened at various times? Although from what I have described above not sure if its already isolated?

Not sure how to proceed.

mgmcc 21:27 05 Jul 07

<<<I don’t know how to give my computers specific IP addresses?>>>

<<<On the router under DHCP set up it shows Start IP as 192.168.1.10 with a IP pool of 50 and a gateway address 192.168.1.1>>>

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network Connection in your laptop) and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the box that opens, select "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address 192.168.1.75

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP address)

DNS Server 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP address)

Give the second computer the IP address 192.168.1.76 but leave the other addresses the same as the first computer.

<<<My firewall is Norton 360, which under Networking shows the Mac address for the LAN and states its limited access for email and internet only. I cant see that I can restrict to specific IP addresses.>>>

It is several years since I've used a Norton firewall, but I would expect to find an option to allow access to the IP addresses of selected networked computers rather than to block them. Normally they would all be blocked by default.

GoingGrey 20:08 08 Jul 07

Thanks mgmcc - all sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…