How to interpret mobo specs?

wotbus@ 21:39 22 Dec 04

I was looking on the PCChips site click here at a mobo described as "CPU on board". Does this mean it comes with a "CPU on board" as one would assume, but the price doesnt really support the theory. Would a knowledgeable one care to check and advise please, thanks.

Totally-braindead 23:14 22 Dec 04

I've just spent the last 15 minites or so looking for a supplier of this board as the website does seem slightly confusing, Ebuyer, who I don't like are the only one selling this board as the PCChips KM266 SKT A 266 FSB AGP Sound LAN & Video with 32MB Shared Memory Onboard Retail Box at £21.79. The board may or may not have originally come with a built in CPU I did find mention of a AMD Pro 2600+ running at 1400Mhz with a 133Mhz FSB but this is not the same thing EBuyer are selling which is clear if you read the reviews customers have made on the board here click here .Originally this board MAY have come with a built in processor but doesn't now hence the price. Reason I say it may have is PCChips did sell a board a couple of years ago which had a processor built in, it was a Cyrix if I remember correctly but it can't have been too good as it seemed to disappear from the shelves very quickly never to be seen again.

wotbus@ 11:14 23 Dec 04

Thanks Totally - it just seemed strange to me to advertise a mobo with On Board CPU for the same price as separate CPU [low end Athlon/Duron]. Why PCChips? - well my mate has a struggling ancient PC with an earlier version of the mobo I queried, and I was just exploring the possibilities and expense of upgrading it, but having diverted it from its journey to the skip some 4 yrs ago my advice to him will be to let it continue its journey ;-). Thanks for looking into my query Totally, much obliged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…