How to install second operating system (Ubuntu)

bill sykes 21:49 03 Sep 06

Sorry if this has been asked before...

My regular WinXp Sp2 system is runing on disk C which has just one partition. I have a spare drive (M) that I currently use for backups. Assuming that I can get a copy of Ubuntu, can I install it to this other drive (without impacting my WinXp system of course)and then have the option of booting up from either? Sounds straightforward, but I'd like your opinions first before I risk destroying my perfectly good system just so that I can see what Ubuntu looks like.
Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 22:07 03 Sep 06

Yes, it is easy but just follow instructions carefully.
Ubuntu is good - I've used it a few times and been impressed.

lisa02 22:59 03 Sep 06

Why not try the live version if you only want to see what it looks like? click here

bill sykes 08:53 04 Sep 06

When I install Ubuntu will I get the option to install to a drive of my choice?
At the end of the installation it presumably makes itself bootable. Does that mean that whenever I boot my pc I will always have to choose which OS to run?
Is this boot information on my C drive?
If so is there a way of avoiding this, that is I want my pc to load winxp by default unless I tell it otherwise.

Sorry for such basic questions. Wish I had a test pc so I could experiment with these things.

lisa02 09:39 04 Sep 06

You will get a choice of which OS to load at startup and yes the boot.ini file in your xp partition will be altered.

How about physically taking out the xp hard disk and connecting the other one as master and then switch back when you're done with ubuntu.

bill sykes 13:42 04 Sep 06

Thanks to you both for your replies. I have now discovered the Ubuntu forum (maybe I should looked for it earlier) e.g. click here and there appear to be many posts regarding this topic. So hopefully all will be explained there. Thanks again for yur time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…