How to install a new font

justrr 15:13 24 Aug 03

I have an HP computer running Windows XP Home.
The instruction to install a new font is :-
"Open Fonts in Control Panel.
On the File menu, click Install New Font."
My problem is that the File menu does not show an option to install a new font. As my operating system is a preloaded OEM version and HP do not provide any discs I am unable to repair Windows; which I thought might be the solution. Can anyone tell me how to install a new font please?

-pops- 16:21 24 Aug 03

Can you tell us what is listed on the file menu?

powerless 16:24 24 Aug 03

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

File.

Install New font.

-pops- 16:34 24 Aug 03

I was hoping justrr could reveal what there is on his/her dropdown if the install feature isn't there.

justrr 20:02 24 Aug 03

The File drop down menu shows "New, Close and Fonts" in bold with "Delete, Rename and Properties" all greyed out. Under "New" just the standard Folder etc is shown and under "Fonts" there is an "Open" which just opens another Explorer window showing the Fonts folder.

bremner 20:09 24 Aug 03

Just to ensure you are opening the folder correctly as I've checked on three XP machines and they all are the same and none have a 'new' option in the drop down menu under file.

Are you going to Control Panel then double clicking on the 'Fonts' icon then clicking on File from the menu bar.

justrr 20:28 24 Aug 03

Thanks for looking into my problem. I am glad to say that I have found an answer. I used TweakUI for WinXP to "Repair Font Folder" and this has reinstated the "Install New Font" option. The "new" option is still there but has been greyed out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…