How to install my usb 2.0 hard drive in win xp wit

mesmd 11:58 05 Jun 04

HI,
I JUST HOOKED UP MY 40GB UII-40-54E BUSLINK USB 2.0 HARD DRIVE TO A USB 2.0 PORT ON MY COMPUTER'S MOTHERBOARD. THE MB. IS A P4VMM2 BUILT IN A VISCOM COMPUTER SYSTEM FROM MINNESOTA. IT IS RUNNING WIN XP WITH SP1, PENTIUM 4 2.4GZ CPU, 512 MB RAM AND 2 INTERNAL 80GB HARD DRIVES IDE MASTER AND SLAVE. THE COMPUTER HAS 6 USB 2.0 PORTS ON THE MOTHERBOARD. AFTER CONNECTING THE DRIVE AND WALL POWER SUPPLY, IT WAS RECOGNIZED AS DRIVE K: BUSLINK 40GB USB EXTERNAL DRIVE. IT WAS ASSIGNED A GENERIC WIN XP USB 2.0 DRIVER BY WINDOWS\SYSTEM\32\UBS.SYS AND HAS NO PROBLEM RUNNING. MY PROBLEM IS ITS SPEED. IT RUNS WITH THE YELLOW POWER SUPPLY LIGHT INDICATING THE SLOW SPEED OF A USB 1.0 DRIVE!!! WHAT CAN I DO? DOES IT NEED A DIFFERENT DRIVER? SHOULD I UNPLUG IT FROM THE FRONT USB 2.0 PORT AND TRY A REAR USB 2.0 PORT INSTEAD? BEFORE PLAYING AROUND WITH THIS, I DECIDED TO WRITE YOU, WHO WOULD KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWER. PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY HELP YOU MAY PROVIDE. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS TO RECTIFY THIS VERY SLOW DRIVE THAT SHOULD BE GOING AT 480MB/SEC INSTEAD OF 12MB/SEC AND THE POWER LIGHT SHOULD BE GREEN, INDICATING THE TRUE USB 2.0 CONNECTION AND FASTER SPEED.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH,
SINCERELY,
MILES [email protected]
tel 310-514-1306

ps. MY USB PROPERTIES ON ONE OF THE HUBS SAYS VIA REV. 5 OR LATER USB. UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER???

PPS THE COMPUTER IS A V2 PREMIER BUILT BY VISCOM TECHNOLOGIES IN MINNESOTA

PPPS. I INSTALLED IT WITH THE COMPUTER OFF, THEN TURNED ON THE COMPUTER. SHOULD I HAVE FIRST LET WINDOWS XP START, THEN CONNECT THE USB DRIVE TO A USB 2.0 PORT SO IT COULD BE RECOGNIZED DIFFERENTLY?
UNDER PROPERTIES OF THE DRIVE, THEN HARDWARE, IT SAYS THE DRIVE IS A MAXTOR 2 F040J0 USB DEVICE AND WRITE CACHING IS DISABLED. THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT!!! PLEASE HELP ME, if possible?
Miles

SEASHANTY 12:08 05 Jun 04

Please do not type everything in upper case - it's hard on the eyes. let the PC startup normally and when fully running try plugging it in to one of the rear USB2 ports, The seem to work more efficiently than the front ones. Don't know why - they just do.
Perhaps your drive is a rebadged one made by Maxtor.

Fruit Bat 12:14 05 Jun 04

Have same problem with external HDD case 9 x out of 10 get message Hi speed device plugged into non Hi speed hub.

After numerous driver instals and updates find only works at full speed if only device plugged onto board.

So use modem of motherboard USB and EX HDD on PCI USB Card ports.

TomJerry 13:05 05 Jun 04

First, do not use upper case, it means shouting on Internet and considered rude!

With PC on, connect usb cable and then switch power of external HDD on, i.e. power on external HDD last. Try a few times. This works for me.

Before you try above, look device drive manage and uninstall usb drive with yellow "!".

Charence 13:12 05 Jun 04

I never knew upper case can be so hard to read!

If you are sure that your MB USB ports are 2.0 check whether your cable is. Some USB cables don't support USB 2.0. click here

Charence

mesmd 01:03 06 Jun 04

Hi,
I'm a super novice to computers and I am very sorry about my finger typing in uppercase. I apologize sincerely and appreciate your help in view of my errors in writing. I have just one more question before I try your helpful suggestions. Do I have to uninstall my usb hard drive or can I just disconnect it from its current port and plug it into a different rear usb port? Also, I do not get a yellow mark under drivers. The current status seems like everything is working ok!!! Please let me know about this and is there anything I need to do, ie., erase or change any of the unnecessary files I just placed on the usb drive when I was testing its speed? Since I don't need any of the files on the drive, should I erase them first before reconnecting it to a new usb 2.0 port? Thank you so very much for all your help, understanding and correcting my writing etiquette.
Sincerely,
Miles

Charence 01:42 06 Jun 04

You shouldn't need to erase anything from the drive. Before you disconnect drive, next to the clock on the taskbar, there should be SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE icon (it looks like a green arrow pointing out). Click on this and select your external HDD to stop it. When the popup message appears indicating it is safe to remove hardware, you can disconnect the HDD. I don't think that it is necessary to uninstall any drivers.

Charence

temp003 04:56 06 Jun 04

It does not matter whether you connect the usb hdd when the computer is off, or on.

The description of the USB controller as VIA rev.5 or later suggests that it may not be USB2, but I'm not sure.

Usually if it is usb2, it should be described as Enhanced USB.

If your motherboard is P4VMM2, it should have USB2 ports - click here

Disconnect the hdd first in the way suggested by Charence.

Then try plugging it into one of the ports at the back, to see if it makes any difference.

If not, disconnect hdd again, go into Device Manager, right click, one by one, all the usb host controllers, and select uninstall. Click OK, exit Device Manager, and restart computer.

On Windows reloading, it should detect the "new hardware" and with XP SP1, it has the USB2 driver and should install the usb2 driver. Then go into Device Manager to see if the usb host controllers have the word "Enhanced". If so, it should function as a USB2 port. Then connect hdd.

By the way, the maximum theoretical speed of USB2 is 480 Mega bits/second (=60 Mega Bytes/second), not 480 Mega Bytes /second. In practice, you will never get 60MB/s, in fact much less than that.

mesmd 06:59 06 Jun 04

You guys are so great and patient with me. I understand everything except:
If after the first disconnent and uninstall of the hdd to a new usb2 port still does not work, do the following: disconnect all the card readers and any hardware using usb2 ports as below:
There are 3 card readers that iI believe are connected to these usb2 ports. Do you want me to diconnect from the device driver manager and rt. click one by one of these card readers which are using usb2 ports? Then boot the computer and and see if the usb2 host controllers have the word enhanced?
If so, then I will know whether for sure I am using usb2 ports? Then reconnect the usb hd again? Will the attached card readers be automatically reconnected (installed) by themselves after the reboot? If what I said is correct, I will proceed and maybe never have to go to the next step, as simply reconnecting to another usb2 port may be the answer and I can stop then?
My mb. manual definitely states that this mb. is usb2.0 compliant for usb2 or usb1 devices.
I can't thank you guys enough; I've never gotten such free genuine help with any problems before. When this is working, please tell me what I can buy from you or your group. Or if I can't find a purchase,I doubt, I would be happy to pay you for the most excellent service given me ever.
Miles

SEASHANTY 11:32 06 Jun 04

To check whether you have USB2 go to this website and download the free PC utility BELARC ADVISOR.
click here It's on the top dark green
band. Either save the file on your PC or install
immediately. This free utility will tell you everything that is installed on your PC including all Microsoft updates. Check under Bus Adapters and
see if it mentions ENHANCED USB HOST CONTROLLER. If it does then you have USB2.

mesmd 11:48 06 Jun 04

Thank you again SEASHANTY
MILES

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…