How to install Linux Mandrake

Iwasaki 16:55 10 Feb 04

Hi guys is it as easy as installing windows? Boot from cdrom after fdisk and format? any tips...I am a newbie to linux and would like to dabble in it!

hugh-265156 17:05 10 Feb 04

yes its easy to set up as uses a gui click here click here click here click here click here may be useful to you.

Iwasaki 16:30 11 Feb 04

Thanks huggyg71, much appreciated.

I shall crack on with it.

Chegs ® 18:42 11 Feb 04

I was up ALL night trying to put a Linux distro on my pc.I have RedHat/Suse/Mandrake and a few others,each distro was struggling with my hardware(either USB or TV/Sound cards)I have formated my hdd to remove each distro so often,its a wonder the hdd still works.Mandrake/RH both failed to install the Grub/Lilo bootloaders,even trying to put this onto floppy created a duff boot disc.I d/l Mandrake 9.2 ISO's,created the installation cd's,but they refuse to load(almost 2Gb's of d/l'ing wasted)I am presently trying Suse(5 CD's worth of D/l'ing)in an last ditch attempt at finding a distro that will work on my hardware.Linux is not an easy learning curve,in fact I would go as far as saying,it ain't a curve,its a flippin hairpin!

PS,its addictive though. ;-)

R4 18:58 11 Feb 04

Mandrake Linux is quite easy to install but it is NOT like windows installatiion.

You need to know quite a bit more about your system hardware and a bit about how Linux works to make it easy.

A bit like CPM/MS-Dos really with GUI added.

spuds 19:27 11 Feb 04

When I recently had an upgrade to my computer, the techie partitioned the harddrive into three sections, and tried to install Linux SuSe on one of the partitions. In the end he gave up, as it wouldn't install. He said it was something to do with a kernal report.

hugh-265156 21:45 11 Feb 04

yeah i agree it is not as user friendly as windows(and i cant even work that right lol)

as above make sure your hardware is keyboard and mouse only work using "failsafe" at install otherwise it all locks up.some modems can also be a problem.

check your hardware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…