how to install different O/S onto 2nd hard drive

blueboy2uk 09:21 29 Sep 06

i have fully upgraded my computer and would now like to install windows 98se onto the second hard drive it has been formatted and ready but for the life on me i cant think how to go about it i have the windows 98 co and a floppy boot disc, when it is installed will i get the option at start up run either XP or 98, i would like to say without the brilliant help of the folks on this site i think i would have had many problems wilst putting my new computer together, by the way i am not very techy and need plain english instructions or is there a web site i can go to with the instructions.

many thanks for the great help

MichelleC 10:01 29 Sep 06

It's better to install 98 1st and then xp but this seems to be a workaround click here

ACOLYTE 10:04 29 Sep 06

I'm not sure but i think you would have needed win98 installed first before xp.

Assuming you have the xp cd,go into the bios and set cd as first boot device,run the xp setup and choose the second hard drive when asked where you want to install.

But as i said I'm not sure if you should have 98 already installed before you install xp.

blueboy2uk 10:15 29 Sep 06

xp is all ready installed on C drive the new HD is K drive i dont really want to start from scratch would this work, set k drive as the master and not have c drive connected install 98 onto K drive that set C drive as master and K drive back to slave but would i then get the option to start whatever drive i need to access at start up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:23 29 Sep 06

No you would not get the option as to which system to boot from.

As stated earlier MUCH harder to install and older system AFTER a new system.

Very difficult to put 98 after XP

Drive C: must be FAT32 to be able to install Windows 98 after XP is already installed. The 98/Me installation routine cannot write to an NTFS partition.
You must have a second hard disk or partition formatted for FAT32 in order to be able to install Windows 98/Me, installing 98/Me to the same partition as Windows XP is Not recommended!

Use a Windows 98 Startup disk for this procedure. You should ensure that DEBUG.EXE is on your Startup disk. On a 98 Startup disk, created from Add/Remove Programs, its in the EBD.CAB file on the Startup disk. For a 98 Startup disk created from FAT32EBD.EXE its on the floppy.

1. Use a Win98 Startup disk (with CD support) to boot your computer.
2. Insert your Win98 CD into the CD Rom drive.
3. At the A: prompt type X:\Win98\Setup.exe where X: is your CD-ROM drive.
4. Proceed with the install. When prompted for the install location, you'll see C:\Windows.000. Choose Other directory and change this to the drive you wish to install 98 to and name the folder Windows (or something else if you prefer).
5. Complete the Win98 install. Allow the computer to boot into Win98.

Repair the Windows XP Boot Loader

1. Create a Win98 Startup Disk
2. Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1
N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
R BX
R CX
W
Q

3. Save the file to the Win98 Startup Disk as READ.SCR
4. Boot the computer with the Win98 Startup Disk and at the A: prompt type

DEBUG <READ.SCR

Steps 1 - 4 create the BOOTSECT.DOS file needed to boot Win98. You may need to use the ATTRIB C:\BOOTSECT.DOS -S -H -R command if BOOTSECT.DOS already exists and you get an error when trying to recreate it.

5. Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive. This is done in the BIOS, or your computer may offer the option at startup if it detects a bootable CD. If your computer does not support booting from CD-Rom, you should also be able to boot with a 98 Startup disk, and run WINNT.EXE from the I386 folder of your XP CD.
6. Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
7. You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
8. You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only one installation.
9. You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).
10. At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.
11. When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
12. Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

You will now get the XP Boot loader with your choice of operating system.

blueboy2uk 10:45 29 Sep 06

Fruitbat i do have a second hard drive installed and its been formatted fat32 the main driveC only has XP on it, the new hard drive is K,
would a progremm like "Diskmagic" or something else that you can recommend make the installation easyier?

thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:26 29 Sep 06

Thats as easy as it gets to put 98 after XP

Best option is to

1. back up any data
2. Use f disk to deleted partion on C: and reformat as fat 32.
3. install Win98 to C:
4 install XP to second hardrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…