How is ink level calculated?

newuser2285 12:58 15 Dec 04

I've always believed that the ink level displayed was the actual amount of ink left in the cartridges. someone told me recently that this was a popular misconception and that the the printer actually counts sheets of paper printed and uses that to derive an amount of ink in the cartridge.

Any idea's?

john-232317 13:08 15 Dec 04

I think its a guess cos mine said it was really low and i still printed 6 A4 photos and loads of flyers before it went dis-coloured.

Starfox 13:09 15 Dec 04

I find it woefully inacurate.I use an HP psc 750 which usually states that ink is about to run out a long long time before it actually does.

961 13:29 15 Dec 04

Someone told you right

Depending on the make of printer you have there are a number of methods of getting the cartridge to go on for longer

There is a large and comprehensive review of this sort of thing in PCPro magazine this month

€dstowe 13:59 15 Dec 04

These ink monitors are, as said notoriously inaccurate and only give a very rough indication of the real ink content. You can carry on using them for a long time after they tell you it's empty.

A word of warning, though. With an Epson printer, when you have been told there is low or no ink and you begin to get streaky prints, replace immediately. If you don't you will have to waste an awful lot of your new ink cartrdge priming the pipes and tubes again.

woodchip 14:15 15 Dec 04

It's done with Electronics on how many times the jets shoot ink. a Simple clock counter.

Wilham 14:59 15 Dec 04

This gives info on the structure of the HP cartridge... click here

newuser22385 15:59 15 Dec 04

Thanks everyone,

Useful info from you all and I've investigated the links suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…