How to increase the speed my PC accesses programs

Nicky 12:58 22 Feb 04

My PC has 512 RAM and 2GHZ processor but seems really slow when I want to run programmes or open mulitiple files. There are a number of programmes running in the background and I don't know which ones I can safely turn off. Can anyone give me any advice on how I can rectify this problem.

Thanks

Nicky

livewire 13:08 22 Feb 04

If you go to click here and run the full test option it should present you with a page of applications you can safely turn off.

Paranoid Android 13:22 22 Feb 04

Not strictly your question, but make sure your HDD is regularly defragged. I use Diskkeeper 7 which I can highly recommend.

Marvin

hugh-265156 14:00 22 Feb 04

cut down on programs loading with windows.

start/run type msconfig

click the start up tab and untick everything except your AV and firewall,restart the computer.

see click here for info

then sort out your services next,set to manual any that are not needed to auto load(most of them) click here

if you ran disk cleanup and defrag also then this all should speed things up a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…