How to increase size of primary partition?

john bunyan 16:13 28 Jan 10

I have W7,64 bit . Main drive partitioned C: 50 Gig, F: 250 (lost 20 somewhere!). I use the C: for programmes, F: for (I use old filing from XP)for "My Documents"(ie all photos, music etc). I think e Mail defaults to the C: Drive , and I am using a total of 33Gig of it. I have allocated 12 Gig for system restore. I would like to increse the C: partition to 80 G at the expense of the F: one. All "My documents" are backed up to an external drive with ATI image and a copy of the "My documents" folder. Can I format the F: drive , then increase the C using Windows ? I am a bit worried as I notice a small boot reference to the F: drive on start up. Is there a simpler way - the disc management is a bit obscure and free third party partition managers do not seem to have a 64 bit version.

sunnystaines 16:24 28 Jan 10

after a full backup goto admin tools-computer management - disk management

where you can change sizes etc

john bunyan 16:31 28 Jan 10

Yes, but do you have to empty the data partition first?

john bunyan 16:37 28 Jan 10

Also in disk management when I right click on the primary partition, the option to "Expand volume" is greyed out...

BRYNIT 17:01 28 Jan 10

As you have already backed everything up hopefully to a separate drive, try without emptying the drive first. You've got nothing to loose by trying.

You will first need to shrink the F: drive before you can expand the C: drive.

GaT7 17:05 28 Jan 10

Try the free Partition Wizard click here, which supports Win7 64-bit as well. G

sunnystaines 17:36 28 Jan 10

as brynit says

john bunyan 17:37 28 Jan 10

Thanks - will follow up your suggestions when my full back up is complete.

john bunyan 17:47 28 Jan 10

Marking this as resolved as with your help I am sure it will work. Forgot you have to shrink the second partition first! JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…