How to improve the WiFi signal

WiFiNewbie 22:34 10 Apr 08

I can catch the WiFi signal from the local hotspot but weak, the distance is 0.8 mile, may I ask how to improve the wifi signal strong? Many thanks

irishrapter 10:44 11 Apr 08

You would need to use a directional antenna if your wireless card / adapter will allow you to connect one.

click here for some good ones!

tullie 15:48 11 Apr 08

And lets face it,if your over 100yards away,its not going to be the best

setecio 11:54 12 Apr 08

wirelesspro seems to be great value, it would be interesting to read some tests of their antennae.

irishrapter 14:53 12 Apr 08

Yeah wireless pro are very good value, I got two "SD27" 24dBi antennas from them.
click here

click here for the manufactures.

With these and two ubiquiti 300mw PCMCIA cards me and a few friends were able to get an ad-hoc network running at about 18 miles.

Alignment was a bit tricky but we got a good 40% signal strength at about a rate of 2Mbps.

setecio 15:38 12 Apr 08

>>>> With these and two ubiquiti 300mw PCMCIA cards me and a few friends were able to get an ad-hoc network running at about 18 miles. <<<<<

Is the setup of such a network the same as any other network, with the only difficult bit, as you say, being the alignment. Was it by small adjustments or do you need some kind of alignment tool ?

irishrapter 16:56 12 Apr 08

Well we had two laptops running “Backtrack 2” and had them connected in an ad hoc mode.
First off we had them in the same room with just a small 7dBi antenna connected to make sure that they were running okay. We had them set at 2Mbps and could ping each other and send and receive some test files.
We then increased this distance to about half a mile with the same setup and they still worked.

We then picked out an area that was completely flat so that we had line of sight with each other. We all live in Northern Ireland so we tried to use Lough Neagh as it’s fairly large, but we had very little success there as it’s just too low down.

A few weeks later we went to The Mourne Mountains in county Down, we set up one team in the mountains at a height of 300 metres and the other just outside Banbridge County Down.
We knew where each team was by using GPS and also at what direction the antennas were pointing by simply using a compass. The team on the mountain remained static while the team on the ground tried to align to their antenna. The biggest problem that we had was the angle of each antenna. It was very difficult to accurately aim the antenna on the mountain to the exact position to the others on the ground.
We got there in the end and got a good signal strength and data rate, we could ping each other and we sent a few test files to each other.
I wouldn’t like to rely to this as a permanent setup it was just really an experiment to see if it can be done.
There are some guys in the USA who have got far bigger distances than this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…