How important is system performance?

exdragon 17:04 16 Jan 03
  exdragon 17:04 16 Jan 03

If I check My Computer/Properties/Performance the minute I turn my PC on, it shows System resources 83% free. By the time I've logged in here, it's down to 64% and when I check again, it's 55%.

I've checked all the items in Msconfig against that list of what you do/don't need and removed things as necessary and did a thorough scan last night plus a defrag.

I've got Win98SE & 512Mb ram. I've looked at Resource meter & System monitor but don't understand them. Likewise I downloaded SiSoft Sandra a while ago but didn't understand what I was supposed to do!

Am I overreacting or should I be looking at something else, please?

cherria 17:13 16 Jan 03

Resource management on 98 is not very usefull or easy to interpret. the 55% is a combination of memory and hard disk space plus a number of other factors.

I shouldn;t worry. With 512mb you're not going to have a problem with any software for a few years

fsssh 17:17 16 Jan 03

dont worry about it until you get to 0% free! everything extra you do with your pc at the same time will take up a little more resources (or if its a microsoft product a LOT more) but you wont have any problems until you've used everything you've got up. its also a very dynamic number that is reported by the system i.e it changes very quickly depending on what youre doing. i have a little program called coolbeans click here which shows you a little graph of how much of your processor, ram and swapfile are being used at that exact moment, and i have found that simply double clicking on an icon puts my cpu usage up to 98%! this is only for a few millisecs tho so dont worry until you start geting undecipherable error messages!

Gemma 17:35 16 Jan 03

All your numbers are normal. If your machine does what you want, only keeps you waiting due to external delays (like internet access) and is stable you are in PC heaven.

flecc 18:26 16 Jan 03

In fact these figures are good. Only worry if free resources drop below 10%. The reasoning is simple, you want your expensive equipment to work at it's maximum efficiency no matter what it's doing, the last thing you want is for it to be idle.

Resources will be released if needed by slowing down the applications already running if necessary.

If you'd like to read an authoritive article on System Resources, use this link:-

www .pcforrest.freeserve. co.uk/resources.htm click here

exdragon 19:45 16 Jan 03

Ticked resolved before posting my thank you-s to one and all. I knew someone would sooth my troubled brow...:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…