How to I install 2 HDD to use as back ups

Mr Finny 12:51 13 Nov 03

My HDD failed this week and I have been told will take 8 weeks to get a replacement from the manufacturer under warrantee. Therefore I have bought a new HDD and when my replacement arrives, intend to install it also and use one HDD to back up the other.

I want the two HDD to be independant from each other (ie. 2 x 40 Gb not 1 x 80 Gb), but want the back-up procedure to be as painless as possible. I have the correct cables and run Windows XP. Any advice greatfully received.

As this is presumably a fairly new system, correct me if I'm wrong on that, installation will be simple. connect the second drive to the Middle connector on the ribbon cable and set the jumpers on both drives to Cable Select.

check first that the new drive is detected correctly in the BIOS then load windows, the new drive will be shown in 'My Computer', you will need to right click and format the new drive (this is all done within windows with simple instructions).

then as to the backups you could just use the tools provided with XP, The XP backup utility is installed by Default with XP-pro but is on the disk in XP-home you will need to instal it, unfortunately some manufacturers have been known to leave it off their 'recovery' CDs if your machine had XP pre-installed.

but not to worry there are many,many alternatives. personally I use Norton Ghost and find it works very well and simply but I'm sure some of the other good folk here will have other recommendations for you to consider.

Pesala 13:28 13 Nov 03

You can easily install the new drive as the master and the replacement as the slave, but there are a few disadvantages to this method.

1) If the PC gets stolen or you have a fire, what use is your backup?

2) The power supply has to work harder which means more power consumption and more heat in the box.

Instead, if you buy a couple of removeable drive caddies, each drive can have your OS and all applications installed on it. Transfer data files via CD. Keep one drive in the PC, and store the other one elsewhere. If one drive fails you can resume work within seconds, just by swapping drives and rebooting. You need a spare 5ΒΌ" bay for this method, otherwise you can use an external drive enclosure connected via USB.

DieSse 15:13 13 Nov 03

I use the "two drives in caddies method" - works great.

Get aluminium caddies with fans to keep your drives cool.

Fit them both into your system (in 5.25" drive bays). Set both drives up as "Cable Select" on the jumpers. then the caddy at the end of the cable will be the "master" and the other one the "slave"

I use XXCLONE click here to make a complete, bootable, copy of my man drive - take it out and keep it safe (until the next clone time - minimum once per week).

If you main drive goes down - you take out the spare - plug it into the "master" caddy, and away you go. No restores, jumper changes etc etc - it just works.

As an aside, I have Lindows on another caddy, which I can put in and play with, without any risk whatsoever of messing up my main windows system, even by accident!

SEASHANTY 15:23 13 Nov 03

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…