How hot should a new laptop get??

I have just bought a new laptop/notebook. I have changed from a 17" screen to a 12.1" one so that I can enjoy greater portability. However the new notebook has been on for about half an hour and to the right of the touchpad it is positively warm/hot to touch.I don't think that this can be right so am thinking that I'll have to return it tomorrow :(
any advice?
It's the Aldi Medion one.
Double :(

Technotiger 20:49 02 Jan 09

They do get quite warm. Make sure that it is not just sitting in your lap or on a bed for instance. Always on a hard flat surface, for mobility you could use something like a tea-tray to rest it on. Or you could buy a laptop cooling tray, I don't think they are expensive.

Thanks i have it on a laptop stand which is tilted so that it is easier to use it and the air circulates underneath. I didn't notice it with the larger laptop, but this has just one area which is noticeably hot. I did wonder if it was just because it is so much smaller.if it gets much hotter it would actually be unpleasant to touch!

Technotiger 20:58 02 Jan 09

If it really gets any hotter, then yes, I would take it back to have it checked over - it might just be because it is new. I would always err on the side of caution though.

Sorry for being thick- why would it being new make a difference? other than the fact that it would be nice if it worked properly LOL! the problem is i don't think the staff at Aldi (who are very kind and helpful I must say) would know what to expect anyway. When I bought it the lady made me fill out a TV licence form which I questioned and she said it was because it contained a tv card- which it doesn't!It isn't getting any hotter it seems to have stabilised at "Very warm"!

Technotiger 21:22 02 Jan 09

This often happens with any new electrical/mechanical items, usually settles down after a short while.

Very warm is normal! Really hot, is not! LoL

have just ordered a 15" laptop cooler with two fans which I presume adds a slope as well!I will ring up the helpline as well- i don't want to take it back if it's ok and I don't want to keep it if it isn't!!

woodchip 22:58 02 Jan 09

It all depends on the CPU fitted. I have one that get too hot to have on Lap. Other can run all day without problems. first as a Celeron CPU, second one as a Centrino CPU

Stuartli 23:59 02 Jan 09

The Dual Core laptops can get very hot - as my offspring puts it, enough to warm up the kitchen...:-)

laurie53 07:01 03 Jan 09

Check whether you have any control over cooling or fan speed in Control Panel.

On a new item it should have been set to the best setting as default, but you never know.

For instance, I can set mine to various settings between "Max Cooling" and ""Max battery Life".

Thanks, this is a dual core one which I haven't had before. It also occurred to me that I usually use a mouse so my hands aren't "on" the bigger laptop as much.I will check out the cooling options in the control panel!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…