How to hook up slave hd to format?

MichelleC 12:27 13 Jun 03

I'm on w2k and want to format my 120gb external hd. Although I've got Partion magic and Ghost they can't get to it (faulty driver I think). So I'll need to hook up as slave and format. Now, I need really simple instructions on how to do that.

I've got 2 internal hd's, 'c' & 'd'. I disconnected 'd' and put 'h' (the external hd) on 'd's ide ribbon and power source but when i boot up there's error messages (like slave hd is not setup correctly). So I assume there's something I need to do to 'h' 1st. Does it involve jumper shunts. There's a diagram on hd but I'm not sure what to do and all the sites I've seen on instructions say set the jumpers to ****, but not HOW TO SET the jumpers.

Kegger 12:37 13 Jun 03

it depends on the hard drive, but as a general rule working right to left, 1st jumper setting = master second jumper setting = slave third = csi

Quiller. 12:42 13 Jun 03

The jumpers are little plastic lugs that slide in and out. The best way I have found is with a pair of tweezers. Just pull the jumper\ jumpers out and refit so it is down as slave.

The other thing may be a trip to the bios. The fact that it is saying
(like slave hd is not setup correctly).
May indicate that the slave hard drive is set to manual and not auto. Check in the bios under standard cmos settings that the slave drive is on auto.

Kegger 12:43 13 Jun 03
  Bodi 12:46 13 Jun 03

Why not just set up the 120GB drive as master, disconnecting all others and use a boot disk to Fdisk and format?

It may be possible to boot from CDROM drive and use your Windows CD to prepare the drive.

Regarding jumper settings - check the diagram on your drive - sometimes it contains the power supply diagram on one side of the jumper pins. Set the jumper caps accordingly. If not - take a good look at the pins and see if there is an odd one - usually next to the Master setting jumpers and work it out from there. Don't mean to be silly, but the jumpers can be muddlesome sometimes because they differ whichever way up the drive is. Just trying to be helpful.

Bodi

MichelleC 12:48 13 Jun 03

That was quick. I'll get some tweezers. Thanks guys.

MichelleC 11:06 14 Jun 03

The jumper pins don't move, (Western Digital)so do I need to get a 'shunt'?

DieSse 11:43 14 Jun 03

"The jumper pins don't move, (Western Digital)so do I need to get a 'shunt'?"

Let's get our terminology right, so there's no misunderstandings.

The pins (the pins that stick out of the drive) are fixed in place.

The little plastic "cap" you will find on some of them, is normally called a "jumper". The jumper will move - they all do - they're very difficult to grip with tweezers tho'. It's not possible that the jumper will not come off - try again.

MichelleC 13:10 14 Jun 03

Great, we're getting there. So I haven't got any jumpers. (All the pins are exposed). Do PCW stock them?

seedie 13:24 14 Jun 03

for WD drives is for single or master drive. Whoever fitted the drive *should* have put the jumper on spare tags.

PCW may even give you a couple for free. I expect like me other peeps of a few spare, it's just getting them to you.

Good luck

CD

MichelleC 13:37 14 Jun 03

Just been in pc shop and they gave me 2. Put 1 on and I've hooked up hd as slave. Only thing is w2k isn't letting me format it, so I'll have to go the long way round. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…