How the HELL can I get ipconfig to work?

mco 17:31 20 Jun 05

been trying for 3 days to sort out wireless connection problem on mate's laptop. (all settings same as mine, which works, laptop says good signal but can't get internet) When I try ipconfig from command prompt or ipconfig.exe or ipconfig.all it says error - have read every search ipconfig on this forum - tried ping (ip) and it says can't find host- tried clicking on ipfonfig file in system 32 but it just brings it up really quickly and it vanishes again. Anyone any other suggestions? I've tried all the usual 'repair connection' stuff, and I've tried disabling and setting up the wireless connection again. The wireless card itself does appear to be working normally with 2 green lights.

De Marcus 17:34 20 Jun 05

Try temporarily disabling ALL firewalls and try again, including the windows firewall.

Yoda Knight 17:35 20 Jun 05

the command is IPCONFIG /ALL (note the space)

Ipconfig /? shows all available switches

VoG II 17:40 20 Jun 05

Start, Run, type

and click OK. At the > prompt type

ipconfig /all

and press the Enter key.

mco 17:41 20 Jun 05

That's one of the ones I've been trying, to no success - with the space

mco 17:42 20 Jun 05

I'll have another look at firewalls - when you switch it on a message comes up saying the firewall is disabled anyway (would that be the windows one?)

mco 17:44 20 Jun 05 says windows detects the computer is not currently protected by a firewall - but it might not detect all of them: the anti-virus is avg free and it's bt broadband 2 wire internet

VoG II 17:45 20 Jun 05

Which version of Windows?

mco 17:50 20 Jun 05

It's XP home. It also says 'windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running'

De Marcus 17:53 20 Jun 05

Yes that means the windows firewall is disabled.

pj123 17:56 20 Jun 05

Or is the command "winipcfg"? That's what I use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…