How hard can transfering a domain name be?

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 09:49 27 Nov 05

Hello all,
Firstly I apologise for reentering this question, but in my previous thread I think I asked too many questions that I startted to confuse myself.

I need to do this one step at a time.

Step 1

I have aquired a website click here, and want to know what needs to happen (if anything) to transfer it to me.

AndySD 11:57 27 Nov 05

click here if your name is the one shown it is transfered to you.

If not get the named person at t2 technologies to transfer it to you.

Forum Editor 12:02 27 Nov 05

but here goes again:-

1. You say you have 'acquired a website' but I'm not sure what you mean by that - have you acquired a business that has a site already?

2. That being the case, you can't transfer the domain name - that has to be done by the person to whom the name is currently registered. That person should contact the organisation through which he/she first registered the name, and go through the procedure required to change the registrant's name - to yours. Many web hosts provide an easy-to-use interface where registrants' names can be changed, and you should ask the current owner if that's the case here.

3. The name transfer may take a few days, or even longer to take effect, and once it happens you'll be able to control the use of the name - you may decide to move it to a new web host for instance.

That's probably enough for now - go back to the person to whom the name is registered and get him/her to start the process.

I have been to the whois link, and I don't fully understand it to be fair, however I know the bloke who I got this from, his name is not there.
I have tried to use link to contact jon.ingram who seems to be the contact bloke at t2 however it just links to a privicy page.

I am really sorry for seeming so thick (I thought it would be a lot easier than it is). I have bought the business StatuesofRemembrance, and part of it is a website that has been running alongside the business. I have been given the password to get into admin, and I have changed some of the wording in the site, but I do nnot have (and do not know how to get to) where I can view the hits and usage of the site....

I have spoken to bloke, who has told me I just need to go into the select email bit of the admin site, and all should work well, but alas this is not the case.

Forum Editor 18:19 27 Nov 05

from whom you bought the business. The WHOIS record shows the registrant as being a person at a web design company, and that's not how it should be.

Apart from anything else, the registered period expires in March next year, and that will soon come around. The renewal notice will be sent to this person at t2technologies, and you need to get the name transferred before that happens.

I suggest that you try to find out exactly what's going on - who is hosting the site,and how much that costs. No doubt there's a prepaid hosting period, and that will expire at some point - possibly at around the same time. You'll need to have the hosting under your control, so you'll need to get all the information you can.

In the meantime, and as a matter of urgency, you might want to archive a copy of the current site for safe keeping - just in case. If you're not sure how to do that, email me with the ftp server address and login details, and I'll do it for you.

PurplePenny 18:19 27 Nov 05

Forget the e-mail bit for now - you need to get the transfer sorted.

The Whois data says that the site is registered to T2technologies (not T2, they are a web design company).

I don't understand what you mean by "links to a privacy page". What links to a privacy page? Did you try e-mailing him?

PurplePenny 18:21 27 Nov 05

Ok ... now I understand! The e-mail address on the Whois page is just an image. The privacy statement is there to explain that. An image is used instead of an actual address to protect the addressee from spam. Just use that e-mail address to contact Mr Ingram.

Does it mean that T2technologies have full control of the site, and thus the business?

The bloke I got it off aquired it in september from a welsh guy who retired . It seems a bit sus that T2 designed the appauling site, with (it seems) no real method of altering basic things in it. For example...In the admin page the first page is paragraphed out (a desperate attemt to clean up the site a little whilst it is still veiwable) but on the site it is one big block of text. I can't change 'Forum' to FAQ's.
and I have no control of the site to take it off line to start again.AGGGGGHHHHH.

So should I be telling the bloke at T2technologies in my email that I do not understand how the site has been registered to them (are they also hosting the site?).

Whilst I wait to see what is suggested I am going to phone bloke in wales and see if he has any ideas....

Cheers

Paul

I am not going to cry, but I am agin going to apologise, as I know this ineptitude must be a little frustrating for some of you.

Wales...The same as the bloke who developed the site, and seems to be the only contact in the list of contacts I have no doubt the initial bloke (Welsh bloke) is OK. I have arranged to phone him tommorrow.

Given the address of jon ingram I think my man has gone to him to set up the web site and he's tried to pull a stunt, but my PC advisors have thwarted his plan...(wonder what he would do with it though).

It is my plan to secure the domain name then pull it off t2. In the meanwhile if someone here could point me to a decent web designer/host I can start redesigning and 'launch' on .co.uk then add .com name when it is sorted,.

I truley thank you all for giving me some real clarity when it all looked very foggy indeed.

In the meantime, and as a matter of urgency, you might want to archive a copy of the current site for safe keeping - just in case. If you're not sure how to do that, email me with the ftp server address and login details, and I'll do it for you.

I am greatful for this but I think the site is so awful that all I need to save are the pictures. If you could advise me of a way of doing this that would be quicker than copying and saving them individually onto my PC I would be really greatful.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…