How good is WMA support in MP3 players?

Batch 11:49 04 Oct 06

I've used Windows Media Player over a number of years to rip CD tracks. Originally I was creating fixed bit rate WMA files, but more latterly I've been using variable bit rate WMA. The PC is connected to my hi-fi and gets used as a jukebox.

I now want to transfer the music to an MP3 type player. Ideally I'd like to transfer the WMA files as they are (e.g. not reconvert to MP3).

I know that many MP3 players also support WMA, but do they tend to only support fixed bit rate WMA or can I assume that, where WMA support is declared, variable bit rate will also be supported?

BTW, I'm not interested in downloading tracks as it is my existing extensive music library that I want to use.

sean-278262 12:24 04 Oct 06

I now want to transfer the music to an MP3 type player. Ideally I'd like to transfer the WMA files as they are (e.g. not reconvert to MP3).

That wouldnt be advised anyway as most people tend to only use shoddy bit rates so converting will produce an enormous change in the quality as does all transcoding. WMA support tends to vary. My player doesnt like WMA at all but then WMA only beats mp3 for quality at bitrates of 64kbps or lower so I would tend to use mp3 as overall it is better supported, doesnt limit your player choices as WMA does. MP3 is ubiquitous to all but a few players.

There is no way we can tell you if VBR WMA will be supported however I would seriously consider in your situation converting to mp3 as WMA even when supported can be poor as I know on my player some WMA plays others it cannot work with. Of course it is your choice but in doing so it seriously limits your choices. I have had to do this myself as I liked ogg more (another format) but the player doesnt support it so had to convert my 6000 song library to mp3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac