How to go to the registry?

starlet 13:01 11 Jan 04

Can anyone tell me how to get into the registry please make it very clear as I have never done it before

Thanks Starlet

Big Elf 13:04 11 Jan 04

If you've not been in before and as the changes are performed as you make them it's not a good idea to change things unless you know what you're doing.

Why do you need to go in the registry? If it's a problem then post it here.

woodchip 13:05 11 Jan 04

Start/Run type Regedit

starlet 13:08 11 Jan 04

Take a look at my prev post Missing Cab Files
Thanks Starlet

Big Elf 13:11 11 Jan 04

Sorry, didn't spot it.

Forum Editor 13:16 11 Jan 04

you should proceed with caution.

Before you do anything whatsoever, make a backup of the registry as it is now. In the registry window go to 'File' and select 'Export' when the dialogue box opens, select the desktop as your saving location and give the backup a name - perhaps 'backup 11 04' - then save it.

That way, if something goes horribly wrong you have a chance of restoring the backup, and you'll be back where you started. It takes two minutes to do the backup and you should never contemplate editing the registry until you've done it.

starlet 13:18 11 Jan 04

Big Elf & Wood chip Thanks
I am in regedit now but I cannot find any AllocateCDRoms , any help please?

Big Elf 13:45 11 Jan 04

Before you do anything look at this which seems to be more relevant to your problem click here

Also back up the registry as FE says.

starlet 14:04 11 Jan 04

Thanks Big Elf
This is what I am trying now and it works OK
I have only had this problem since I used Windows update to SP4 this morning.
FE thanks I had seen many warnings to backup and I had done as you had suggested, you think you are doing the right thing updating every thing while you are setting up a fresh clean system but it sure gave me a headache today but I have learnt some new things.

Best Regards Starlet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now