How to get WMPlayer 7.1 working again?

METsen 19:47 18 Apr 06

Connected a computer with Windows 98 for the first time to the Internet. When loading the updates I made an error to load also the WMP9 update which was in the folder of the Windows 98 and 98SE updates.

In order to correct this error I uninstalled WMP9, noticing that it wasn't really uninstalled. Not knowing that the WMPlayers are very deeply linked with the OS, I deleted all files in the Windows Media Player folder downloaded WMP7.1 and reinstalled it. When I tried to listen to a radio streem for WMPlayers the player tried to connect, stoped and returned an error originating in the Kernel32.dll.

As a next step I downloaded again WMP6.4 and reinstalled it. With this player the radio streem can be received without any problem.

At this stage, I tried again to install the WMP7.1 on top of the WMP6.4. But ends at the same place with the same error in Kernel32.dll. An other indication on what seems to be wrong is the following: Trying to open in WMP7.1 (what in English might be called) "Format" under "Options" results also in an error, here indicating a wrong or missing entry in the registry.

Has anyone of you an idea on what I should do to get the WMP7.1 working again?

METsen

ShalafiStudios 13:20 19 Apr 06

Considering Kernell32.dll is pretty much the core of the Windows operating system then the only solution I can think of is a clean install, that might be a little extreme though.

mattyc_92 13:26 19 Apr 06

This (click here) may help

METsen 15:53 19 Apr 06

ShalafiStudios wrote
"..the only solution I can think of is a clean install, that might be a little extreme though."
Its not quite as extreme as suggesting to get rid of this computer and buy a new one...

@mattyc_92
Thank you for providing this link. Will see whether I can fix it with these propositions.

In the mean time I also found this link click here with a freeware for fixing Kernel32.dll problems. Does any one of you know this software?

mattyc_92 16:27 19 Apr 06

I have never heard of that "PC OnPoint" program...
If it were me, I would backup all my files (music, pictures, videos and documents) and check it out as it *could* save you buying a new computer or re-installing the operating system

lotvic 23:02 19 Apr 06

Have you tried:
Restart the computer to MS DOS Mode. At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt type scanreg /restore and hit enter. W98 save a copy of the registry for the last 5 successful bootups. Pick one that predates any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…