how to get and pay web server what do you think ?

Linda Weir 10:29 06 Aug 05

i had a young designer do my website and its nice.i paid him cash into his bank as he is always broke. now he says he cant send it to the host and needs my bank details because he hasn't a credit card.

i feel very nervous about giving my bank details to a second and third party.also if the original site he chose folded I'm not sure of the wisdom of following his choice. the following is what he has chosen for me, However i really wanted heart internet because of advice from pc advisor. the problem seems to be that i cant pay for it with my card because he has the technical stuff although he has sent me a copy of the website. ifeel very worried about the lack of control and the giving of my bank details.the following is what he is recommending:-

"My friend has basically stopped doing his own server because it was costing too much but has found a place that is REALLY good but still cheap.
The hosting agency (the place that will hold & display your website)
will be
UK2 (click here).
The Price for 2 years is £154.00
The Price for 1 year is £99.92
That includes your name (click here) any email addresses you want.
Loads of web space - a thing called (CGI/PHP) which means we can have the
contact form working on your site plus spam filtering so you dont get loads of junk email.
The problem is I don't have a credit card so I can't actualy buy it all. It's all done online."

What do you think of this deal, i can pay for webspace with my credit card. i have no skills so i wanted him todo it in case he needs to amend the web design(in case it doesn't work)
sorry its a long ramble ,i m well worried at the moment. linda

Taff36 10:46 06 Aug 05

Don`t give anyone access to your card details. If you decide he has made the right choice for you insist he sets up the deal from your computer and you enter the details whilst he makes a coffee!

I can`t comment on the deal he is offering but someone will know more about this. If I were you I would check with your own ISP (Who is it by the way?) and see if web hosting is included with your package and what it would cost. Are you on Broadband?

palinka 10:58 06 Aug 05

I can't offer advice on the technical details, but I suggest the following re the bank. Get HIS bank details (ie. branch tel.no. his account no. etc) The bank probably won't give you any info if you phone them,(tho you can try) but as Taff36 says, get him to your house and let him dial his bank from your phone and establish what that bank recommends as the way for him to transfer the money from his account to the host's account. It should not be necessary for him to withdraw cash at all - banks can transfer from one account to another in same bank or a different one.

Linda Weir 11:09 06 Aug 05

HE LIVES IN BRISTOL, I IN ST.IVES. BUT THANKS I WON'T GIVE THE DETAILS . i WILL LOOKINTO MY ISP THOUGH,WHICH IS BT BROADBAND. THE DIFFICULTY IS GETTING HIM HERE AND MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE, HE HAS SENT ME A COPY OF THE WEBSITE.BUT IWANTED TOLEAVE THE RESPONSIBILIYT WITH HIMIN CASE OF PROBLEMS IN THE DESIGN WHICH HE WOULD HAVE TO CORRECT. I HAVE ALREADY PAID HIM AS HE WAS BROKE SO I DON'T HAVE MUCH LEVERAGE WITH PAYMENT.

wHAT I HOPED WAS THAT I COULD PAY THE WEBHOST,DOMAINE AND THEN HE COULD JUST UPLOAD THE SITE INTO IT FROM HIS END.GOOD TO HAVE YOUR WISDOM, LINDA.

Linda Weir 11:11 06 Aug 05

THANKS PALINKA, I WILL SUGGEST THIS METHOD VIA HIS BANK AFTER I HAE DECIDED ONTHE WEBSITE. LINDA

Taff36 12:42 06 Aug 05

BT Broadband packages click here Which one have you got? Note that personal webspace is included on the more expensive packages at 15MB - how big is your website file?

BT is expensive. How long have you been with them? I recommend click here now. Haven`t used their webspace yet but 100 MB as a minimum and Domain Hosting is included on some of the packages with .co.uk at £1 per month. Everything is cheaper than BT AND you get (I think) all you need for your Domain Hosting.

Someone more knowledgable may like to comment if I`ve missed something obvious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…