How to get old printer to work with new USB cable

Bill B 18:55 13 Aug 05

I Have a Brother HL -760 printer which has a parallel centronics cable on LPT1.

I am awaiting a new computer which does not have the parallel port. So I bought a USB to centronics cable, to see if it works on my old computer first, but I am unable to get the printer to work.

The computer recognises the printer and the wizard appears, I follow all the screen prompts and it seems OK. A new printer icon appears in the printer folder. I have checked to see which port it uses and it says USB, when I try to print a document nothing happens.

Any help appreciated as I do not want to buy another printer as this one still works fine and I have a spare drum and 5 toners.

Regards Bill

Kenneth-266656 19:17 13 Aug 05

Latest drivers installed?

Bill B 19:27 13 Aug 05

Hi Torwalker the latest driver was installed.

Regards Bill

Kenneth-266656 19:32 13 Aug 05

Bill B.
Are drivers USB drivers?

stalion 19:33 13 Aug 05

how old is your printer is it compatible with usb?

Bill B 20:01 13 Aug 05

Hi Stalion

the printer is about 10 years old now.

€dstowe 20:34 13 Aug 05

USB wasn't even a twinkle in Bill Gates eye ten years ago. Bit dubious about it working.

Belatucadrus 20:35 13 Aug 05

" Before you install the USB TO Parallel printer cable , please don't install your printer . After you install the USB TO Parallel printer cable , please change the Printer port as USB2LPT ( Windows 98) , USB001 or USB002 ( Windows XP ) "

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…