how to get inside it to clean it......

end 10:35 21 May 04

bear in mind that I have here a "tower", that measures 7"wide,16"tall and 18"long, ; all the cables are inserted in one end of the tower .having nEVER been NEAR the inside, ??how do I get INTO it??? to see how much cleaning it should have??? (AND,,am a NOVICE at computing...)( i know there are other threads ON this topic, but as far as I can see, none describe how I am supposed to get INTO the thing,presumably without disconnecting all the cables???)...and what to be very "careful "of (apart from electricity!!) once I get IN there.....(feel very scared even BEFORE I have got anywhere NEAR it!!!!!!)....thanks peoples.....

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:39 21 May 04

If you don't need to go in there - don't!

Seriously - if it's working fine and you are just curious it's best left alone.

mbp 10:56 21 May 04

I used a hand me down computer for years and being new at it daren't go anywhere near the insides. It worked fine for years.

Then when I got a bit more experience and daring, I worried about the computer sitting under the desk, probably collecting dust. But I read, "Never use anything like a nylon brush near a computer, as the static it could create could truly foul things up." But looking from the outside of the case, I saw a bit of dark fluff around the openings near the fan. I used the suction tube from a vacuum cleaner and carefully sucked off some of that dust. Months later, I gingerly opened up the casing, and gingerly used the vacuum hose, without touching anything did a little more cleaning. That's it! Some people like to use compressed air, available in pressurized tins, but it does fill the room up with that dust, unless you want to take to computer outside while doing that job, or your wife might clean you out.

There is an old saying, "If it is working, leave it alone!" Unless you are a tinkerer like me!

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:08 21 May 04

mbp

You're so right - I have seen more than one post telling how someone has opened the case to clean the inside, and when the machine is re-booted the fans are noisy or something more drastic!

mbp 11:26 21 May 04

Just for information! It could be Firefox that is causing the "Hanging". I switched to Mozilla and it seems to be doing a better job.

end 11:46 21 May 04

it is STARTING to make a small noice when runnign as if a fan OR someothing "needs attention" but nothing drastic .; am I being told to remove a SIDE???? and do the cables remain in situ or.....
and ???what is a "PSU" (told u am a novice!!!)and a CPU.....????(anyone got a picture that can be "posted|" on the forum of what I might "expect to find inside"?......

Arthur Scrimshaw 12:35 21 May 04

Before you star delving in to your pc, why not look on click here

This gives a simple guide to whats going on inside your pc and may give you more confidence about going inside.

I still say that if you don't need to fiddle - don't.

Arthur Scrimshaw 12:36 21 May 04

That should read 'start delving' of course!

2neat 13:38 21 May 04

Take it outside, open the case and blast it with a Karcher pressure washer. Leave somewhere warm to dry out. I recon 24 to 36 hrs drying time should suffice.

spuds 14:03 21 May 04

2neat advice not recommended, and the same applies to using the local car wash.

If you need to go inside the case, remember to isolate the power supply. And remember that your computer may have 'static power' also present.Back of hand or fingers may find this hidden destroyer. If you are unsure, best to leave things alone or to someone more confident and adventurious.

Should you go inside with the hoover, then be cautious with the suction, as this can loosen or damage components, if not used with tenderness.Nothing like having a memory chip stuck to the hoover nozzle, or a screw vanishing up the pipe.On completion, make sure that every thing seems secure and undamaged, before re-assembling the case.

g0slp 14:20 21 May 04

I would advise 'blowing' rather than 'sucking', for the reasons stated above. You are far less likely to dislodge components, and more importantly if anything does come loose with the airflow, it'll not go too far once it gets out of the flow of air. A vacuum cleaner, on the other hand keeps sucking; guess where the part would go....

Far better to run the risk of upsetting the 'domestic authorities' (!) with a bit of dust than have to explain that you've got to spend lots of cash because the computer doesn't work any more! It's not as though you are going to do this operation frequently; at least under normal operating conditions.

Good luck with your 'spring cleaning'; take care, & observe the anti-static precautions mentioned before.

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…