How to get a Google search box in Google Chrome?

stlucia2 08:59 AM 09 Jun 13
Answered

I've been using Google Chrome for a few days now, and overall I'm happy with it.

I've got all my bookmarks from IE8, but one thing I'm missing is a Google search box in the bar at the top of the screen. With IE8 I had Google Search as my home page, and I also had a Google search box at the top right of my screen. How can I get that with Chrome, please? At the moment if I want to Google something I have to open a new tab, or click on the "Home" symbol, and then click on Google Search. Not a show-stopper, but not quite as simple as my previous system.

Chronos the 2nd 09:15 AM 09 Jun 13
Answer

From Google.

In Google Chrome, the address bar doubles as your search box, so you don't need a second search box. Like the Toolbar search box, the address bar provides suggestions based on popular Google searches, spelling corrections, and your own browsing history and bookmarks.

onthelimit1 09:25 AM 09 Jun 13

If you want your home page to have the usual Google look with search bar in the middle, click the customise button (three bars top right), click Settings, on Start Up, click the radio button for 'open a specific page' then type google.co.uk in there.

Ian in Northampton 09:26 AM 09 Jun 13

Like Chronos said: just type your search into the address bar. It's wonderfully simple.

stlucia2 11:30 AM 09 Jun 13

Thanks for those replies.

I've just tried using the address bar as a search bar and it works fine. Brilliant, I don't need a Google Search home page with that, so I'll leave the default home page as it is.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…