How to get a good reception/signal on a satnav?

geek84 16:38 20 Jul 14

Hi Folks

I have a Satnav (TomTom One) which is about 7 years old. Today, I went to see my friend, by car, who has just bought a new house, so I thought it would be best if I follow the directions of the satnav.

However, I lost the signal for the Satnav shortly after leaving home and so had to rely on my smart phone for directions to my friend's house. I used my A to Z in order to get back home, since I could not get any signal on the way back.

What is the best way to ensure that my Satnav always gets a good signal?

Thank You.

Woolwell 16:50 20 Jul 14

Firstly I think that your satnav may be about to pack up. I had a TomTom which was younger than yours that suddenly decided that a field was where the road was and never properly recovered. Have you done a reboot of the satnav?

To get a good reception make sure that you have updated the TomTom GPS data from TomTom and let it have a clear view of the sky.

Ian in Northampton 17:33 20 Jul 14

I'm not sure if it works with the TomTom One, but a fix/patch was released to enable the TomTom to get a fix on a satellite much faster from boot up. That said, I doubt it will help your problem. As Woolwell says, the only way to maximise ge chances of getting a good satellite signal are outdoors (ora t least, not in a house/building) and on a sunny day. But at 7yo, you're lucky it's still working. I had to dig an old One of mine out the other day because my wife had taken hers, and it spent an entire journey telling me to go left - when I knew I needed to go right. I think I'll bin it: a misleading satnav is actually worse than no satnav at all.

wee eddie 17:36 20 Jul 14

Tom Tom 1 was designed before the current windscreen technology became commonplace.

You will need to buy it an aerial for use in most modern cars. These aerials consist of a thin wire with a 50p size pad at one end. Not expensive.

Woolwell 17:42 20 Jul 14

Depends on the car as heated windscreens tend to be the problem that requires an external aerial.

spuds 18:16 20 Jul 14

For aerials look on Ebay, there is usually a good selection, and much cheaper that manufacturer prices.

Perhaps a little hint before travelling from home. Connect to one of the breakdown services, they usually have free route planner downloads to and from the journey you want, and possibly speed camera or 'black-spot' locations en-route!.

wee eddie 18:49 20 Jul 14

I was told that the change in technology was a new type of anti shattering ingredient that made the screen partially translucent to the gismo that read the sattiliite positions

wee eddie 18:51 20 Jul 14

Newer models have not been affected

alanrwood 09:20 21 Jul 14

Still using my TT One, 2nd edition, with no problems. I changed the battery a couple of years ago and the maps get updates every 3 months. Unfortunately just lately I find it difficult to read as it is a bit too small in screen size and eyes deteriorating with age so just bought a TT Go6000 with a 6 inch screen. Much easier to see but does not have half the facilities of the older TTs. ie back up to computer, Points of interest.

audeal 10:25 21 Jul 14

I purchased a Tom Tom XXL las year and it does not have an aerial socket, I wish it had as I have an aerial which I used to hang out of the window with my last Sat Nav which enabled me to set my rought up indoors. What a shame they have done away wit it.

RIPInspiron 18:34 21 Jul 14

I am unsure about the aerial/reception/windscreen thing (sounds like an aerial sales gimmick to me), but TomTom reception is usually good - I too had a 1 until the display died. One thing that does often work if it does get lost is the reset in the back - a non-metallic pin should be used, though I always used a standard pin.

All (?) of the TomTom 1 series had no memory card - certainly mine did not, which means that you cannot update European maps as the files were way too large 3-4-5 years ago. Not sure about the much smaller files for just the UK. European maps had to be stored on a PC and downloaded to the satnav as required - total rubbish system. The download also completely scrambled my TomTom software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5