How to get a good reception/signal on a satnav?

geek84 17:34 26 May 14

Hi Folks

I have a Satnav (TomTom One) which is about 7 years old. Today, I went to see my friend, by car, who has just bought a new house, so I thought it would be best if I follow the directions of the satnav.

However, I lost the signal for the Satnav shortly after leaving home and so had to rely on my smart phone for directions to my friend's house. I used my A to Z in order to get back home, since I could not get any signal on the way back.

What is the best way to ensure that my Satnav always gets a good signal?

Thank You.

wee eddie 18:25 26 May 14

SatNav and Car window Technology has been changing.

Many older SatNavs require an Aerial when used in a vehicle that has the recent improvements in Car Window technology. I believe that, for some reason, there is a very thin metallic layer on recent Front windows. More modern SatNavs do not need an aerial.

I had to buy an aerial for my old TomTom, when I bought my new Peugeot Taxi Cab, nearly 4 years ago.

spuds 20:26 26 May 14

If your satnav is 7 years old, then it might pay to check some of the bargains that are being made available nowadays, with more modern technology. I have a Navman F20 that works great from a vehicle power supply, but the battery alone is now very limited in its use. Getting a replacement battery would not be cost saving.

Satnav aerials are easily and cheaply available via eBay.

woodchip 19:52 30 May 14

First Try the Online Sata finder update, as sats are changing all the time, this is other than Windscreen Problems that I suffer from as it as anti-glare screen

caccy 20:27 30 May 14

As an aside; when the company I worked for produced their first GPS receiver it was about 9"X9"x2" the aerial a was separate device 2"x2"X 0.5" the end user had to interface to it and develop the hardware & software to output position. (price us$20,000).

Ex plorer 12:46 01 Jun 14

I would agree with woodchip, I have an oldish TomTom but keep it updated on the PC, its rare it lets me down if it does I just hook it to the PC when I get back home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…