How to get into DOS?

I-W 12:26 19 Jun 04

Is there antway i can get into DOS before windows XP starts up? Iv tried ESC, F1 and F8 dut cant seem to find it. Am i lloking in the right place or is it somewhere else? Any help would be great. Thanks.

PSF 12:33 19 Jun 04

Dos is not used with XP. What are you tring to do?

PSF 12:34 19 Jun 04

oops trying not tring

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:34 19 Jun 04

There is no DOS with Win XP unless you create a dual boot system with an old coy of DOS installed.

I also need to find out how to do this on a win 2000 laptop so I can use a program that only works on DOS 5.1

I-W 12:36 19 Jun 04

Iv got a copy ogf all the hidden files that are truely hidden on the computer within windows explorer. Its says to get into dos before windows starts. Plus there is other stuff in this document thats needs to be done in dos.

rawprawn 12:37 19 Jun 04

Start/Run/Type cmd / enter surely that does it.

I-W 12:38 19 Jun 04

Is there a "command prompt only " in XP? This document seems to think that if i press F8 before windows starts up ill get there but iv had no joy as of yet.

VoG II 12:39 19 Jun 04

As above there is no DOS.

If you keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen appears, one of the options is Safe mode with command prompt.

If you just want to get a command prompt, Start, Run, type in

cmd

and press OK.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 19 Jun 04

cmd runs a dos like prompt but XP DOS won't run old DOS tpye progs but maybe ok for I-W

I-W 12:43 19 Jun 04

Ok thanks for all your help. Ill give it a go.

Graham ® 12:51 19 Jun 04

Or, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…