How frequently can I upgrade

wee eddie 08:39 AM 24 Apr 12

I am a Sole Trader and really only use my PC for Accounting and Word Processing(for the purposes of the Inland Revenue, anyway).

Last year I upgraded the old PC Base Unit to Windows 7 64bit, with extra RAM and it works well, albeit somewhat slowly. Could just add a new Graphics Card, of course, but the Processor is 4 years old.

I've had quite a good year. So ~~~ How soon does anyone think that I can replace it with a new "all singing and dancing model", through the Books, as it were?

wiz-king 18:12 PM 24 Apr 12

It depends how you write down your capital assets, we write of our PC's over 5 years but if they die before that we replace them anyway. I dont think they would moan if you used three years for IT equipment.

wee eddie 11:06 AM 11 May 12

Spam - FE told

aaroncampbell 08:16 AM 18 Jun 12

Hi

There could be many reasons to slow your PC Speed. The speed of PC varies on operating system as well. Try out changing another lower version Operating systems viz. Windows XP/Vista or try out some Preliminary Maintenance methods, as cleaning your cache memory & browsing history, Disk cleanup, etc.

wee eddie 10:36 AM 19 Jun 12

Sorry "aaron" I must have phrased it badly.

This is an Accountancy Question, about the frequency of Upgrades, by a Single Trader, that the Inland Revenue will accept as reasonable.

Terry Brown 18:12 PM 02 Jul 12

For most Tax purposes,HMRC will allow you a percentage of the original cost to be written off each year on "Capital" (Essential Equipment) every year.

However if you upgrade it during that period the original tax deductable price will NOT be any different to the original.

You may be better off buying a new piece of IT than upgrading the old one.

I suggest you look at the link http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ and if in doubt contact your local Tax office.

Terry

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites