How Fragile Windows Is.

€dstowe 08:01 07 Nov 06

After very long periods of working with no problems, twice in two days different computers have started up with a black screen and the frightening message

"Windows could not start because the following files is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

and a message to insert the Windows disk and try to do a repair.

From past experience the doing the repair option is a total waste of time as it seldom, if ever, works so you end up frustrated and with less hair than you had at the start of the day.

Fortunately, as regulars may know, I'm avid about doing backups and this is yet another nag of mine to try and persuade anyone who doesn't have one, to make a full system backup of their computer as soon as they can.

Don't think it can't happen to you - it can and will, completely out of the blue as it's done with me TWICE in two days.

Both of these disasters were averted by having an up to date backup and in both cases the machines were running again within 45 minutes.

So, don't just think about it - DO IT!!

Graham. 08:13 07 Nov 06

Once again I will endorse these sentiments. I back up to an external drive, and also now to my laptop.

Haven't needed it yet,but if you take an umbrella it never rains.

rawprawn 08:20 07 Nov 06

Honest €d, I back up every Friday to Acronis Secure Zone, and Slave HD alternately.

anskyber 08:39 07 Nov 06

Its not possible to remind people too often about back up so thanks, my weekly Acronis back up is due.

VoG II 08:50 07 Nov 06

For future reference click here

Totally-braindead 10:52 07 Nov 06

Thanks for that link VoG™ I think I'll print it out and keep it somewhere safe just in case.
I can only agree whole heartedly with the advice to create a backup, if any of you that read this think its a bit extreme then just think how long it would take you to get back a working PC with all your files and programs. And of course in the case of things like photos they are gone forever. You cannot replace them ever.
So do a backup before you lose things that can't be replaced.

€dstowe 11:21 07 Nov 06

A re-install from backup is far easier:-)

A useful link, nevertheless, in case it should arise that a backup fails to work.

mammak 11:47 07 Nov 06

Great bit of advice but some people do take that atitude that it will never happen to them im afraid to say,

I was never more releived just last week that I do regular backups as I needed to do just that the thought of losing all my photos and music ect had me in a bit of a panic but my backups worked and I was up and running in about an hour phew!

so folks backup it does not take long and one day you will be glad you did.

Batch 11:53 07 Nov 06

I know it will never happen to me, but I still do backups! ;)

€dstowe 07:47 08 Nov 06

Moving to top and closing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos