How to format XP so to reinstall 98

trentbill 15:10 31 Oct 05

I have PC which I install XP, because I have AMD K6 pro. it is not working very good so I want to go back to 98 with ME added which I had before and worked wel. But how do you formatt XP to remove it help

jimv7 15:35 31 Oct 05

Boot from your xp cd, follow the onscreen instructions and format the hard drive in fat 32, exit and boot from your me cd.

Djohn 15:38 31 Oct 05

You need to make, or download a 98 bootdisk to a floppy disk. Insert the floppy, turn off and reboot your machine this will then boot from the floppy and leave you with a DOS screen and the a:/ prompt flashing at you.

Type

C:/

hit the enter key and you will then see.

C:/

type.

format C

You will then see a message saying that all data will be lost, do you want to continue, say yes and the disk will format and leave you with a blank hard drive.

Remove the floppy disk, insert the 98se disk, turn off the PC and reboot, 98se is a self booting disk and will start to install 98se for you, just follow the on-screen instructions to fill in all details and load your operating system.

Djohn 15:40 31 Oct 05

Sorry, folow jimv7 instructions, I did not realise you could format from NTFS XP back to fat32.

ventanas 15:55 31 Oct 05

To reformat back to fat32:

Boot from XP CD. Do not enter SetUp, instead press R to go to the Recovery Console. Select your XP installation (usually only one) press 1 and Enter. Type administrator password. You will be placed at C:\Windows> Type format c: /fs:fat32 and press Enter.

Teddy Jeff 17:57 31 Oct 05

TrentBill,Has now got it formatted and thanks you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017