How to format and partition a new HDD?

Chris the Ancient 15:25 26 Sep 07

Over a period of time, my HDD is failing - with ever increasing bad clusters and bad sectors. So I'm treating myself to a new, bigger and faster one (and about time too!).

The existing drive is split into two partitions - C: (System) and D: (Data). And, with a bit of a struggle with the dying bits, I've a full Acronis True Image back up, on a second HDD, of both partitions that looks healthy.

When the new HDD arrives, it will, obviously, be unformatted etc. Is there an easy and logical way to get the drive formatted to NTFS and appropriately partitioned when I won't have a system on the machine until after I've done a True Image restore? I don't want to have to load my Win XP from scratch or anything just to set up the new drive'

Pamy 15:30 26 Sep 07

install as slave, format and partition from Disk Management

Pamy 15:37 26 Sep 07

Windows Disk Manager...click here

Chris the Ancient 15:39 26 Sep 07

Good thinking!

I shall do that.

Unless... Someone knows of a program that I can stuff on a floppy (I still use them sometimes) and boot and do the necessary off that - my drives are a right so-and-so to get at and keep swapping. :o((

Chris the Ancient 15:42 26 Sep 07

We crossed in the post!

I'm quite happy doing the disk management bit - I was being lazy and trying to find a shorter route.

Chris the Ancient 15:48 26 Sep 07

Eureka!!!!

I've just remembered my second drive is in a caddy! (Shows how often I ever take it out.)

So your way IS the way forward.

Many thanks

CtA

Pamy 15:50 26 Sep 07

Depending upon which program you use to make an image with ,you may be able to just put the image on your new drive without having to do any formattin etc. But as I have pointed out on a number of questions, if your new drive is a different make and or larger size, Windows may see it as a new computer and ask you to re-activate it

Chris the Ancient 15:56 26 Sep 07

The new drive is a lot larger, and a different make - but I won't be too phased if I have to re-activate Windows. The re-assurance of a more reliable drive will more than make up for it.

cream. 16:50 26 Sep 07

" I've a full Acronis True Image back up, on a second HDD, of both partitions that looks healthy.
"

Then just put the new drive in as a slave and clone the disik over to the new drive, acronis will format the drive pro-rata. Then take the drive out of the caddy, change the jumper settings on the new drive to master and boot into windows.

Chris the Ancient 19:32 26 Sep 07

Even easier! I hadn't fully realised (or forgotten) that Acronis would sort out the formatting and partitioning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…