how to format partition

dieselnc 21:16 02 Sep 04

i am running win 98se i have a 40gig harddrive i made 2 partitions on it with fdisk using a start up disc . i formatted the c drive & loaded windows to it how do i format the other partition? thanks in anticipation!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 02 Sep 04

Does D:\ show in explorer? right click select format from drop down menu.

The Dazza 21:23 02 Sep 04

If you can see the drive in explorer try right mouse clicking and selecting "format".

dieselnc 21:30 02 Sep 04

no d drive is cdrom drive?

It's Me 21:35 02 Sep 04

So what letter is designated to the other partition. Can you see it in 'My Computer'.

dieselnc 21:43 02 Sep 04

no does not show in my computer!

It's Me 21:57 02 Sep 04

Normally you would expect 'D' drive to be the second partition.
How did you, if I might ask, create this second partition, and how did you use it.
What size does 'My Computer' report that 'C' drive is?
If you can't see the second partition in 'My Computer' it seems to me that it doesn't exist.

dieselnc 22:15 02 Sep 04

c drive shows as 1.94GB used fdisk on win startup to create 2 partitions

cream. 22:45 02 Sep 04

Restart the computer with the startup disk in. Pick fdisk again and Y to enable large disk support.

When fdisk is loaded pick option 1 ( Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive) and enter. On the next screen pick option 3 (Create Logical DOS drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition)and enter. Dos will check the disk and write out the file allocation tables.

When done press esc and your computer will reboot.

Now when you boot to windows, your partitioned drive should show in my computer. Right click the drive, scroll down and format. It will ask to scandisk the drive after format, do it.

dieselnc 20:23 03 Sep 04

thanks followed your advice & have now got it going thanks again!

cream. 23:40 03 Sep 04

Good to see you have your space back. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…