How to format hd 'd' in W2k?

MichelleC 12:24 07 Jun 03

I can't restart in dos or ms-dos from shutdown. Do I use the 'command' prompt in accessories, or get into dos from boot disc (and will w98 boot disc do)? Then, what commands do I give?

VoG™ 12:30 07 Jun 03

This may help click here

Lú-tzé 12:33 07 Jun 03

Boot into Win2k.

Right click on my computer and choose manage.

Choose "disk managemnent"

Choose the disk you want to format and right click on it; choose format.

(I think these are the correct instructions - I am not on Win2k at the moment and doing it from memory.)

A win98 boot disk will do the job, but more of a chance of something going wrong.

Terrahawk 12:40 07 Jun 03

win 2k does not run on dos however you can get round it with a 98 boot disk bit long winded but heres how
1st set your cd/floppy drive (depending on disk)as first bootable device in the bios you should then be able to boot into dos from the 98 bootdisk
at a:\type in fdisk and look for something relating to partitions (a long while since ive done this so cant rember exact numbers)you should then see show active partitions go into itwin (2k should be ntfs)
come out of that then look for option delete non dos partition delete partition then exit you may have to restart after this, next step go back into the patitions menu create primary dos partition create partition then set as active exit and restart the machine At A:\ type format c: run through format sequence and you should end up with a clean drive

good luck

Lightspeed2003 12:42 07 Jun 03

I have an easier method, open My Computer, right-click on the drive and click Format, just as you would for a Floppy Disk. Unless your PC is booting from this drive, that should work.

MichelleC 13:35 07 Jun 03

That was quick. That's what's so good with this forum.

I tried the format command via 'disc management' and via 'my computer', but it's saying it can't format eventhough it's a secondry hd. (?)

I'll be back if there's any probs. Cheers guys.

MichelleC 15:56 07 Jun 03

Well, I made w2k bootdiscs, went into dos, did commands and formatted 'd'. No probs except it didn't give me an option for file format so it's done it in NTFS. It's not what I wanted as I do dv editing and my other hd's are fat32. Still, maybe I can get round it somehow.

Lú-tzé 16:00 07 Jun 03

Well, there is an advantage to ntfs - you can have files greater than 4gb if you need them... small consolation perhaps, but for DV editing it can be an advantage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…