how to format hard drive

ictlighthouse 12:18 23 May 06

i have got window xp home edition pc and I want to format the hard drive, however I have not got a boot up disk/floopy
please help

Shortstop 12:46 23 May 06

I assume you have a Win XP disk - this will autorun and will allow you to format & install a fresh OS.
If not, then you should have a recovery disk from your PC manufacturer and this will do the same thing.

If you don't have a restore disk or a WinXP disk, then you will not be able to reinstall Windows after formatting.

Just a word of caution, make sure you backup all your important files & have all the program disks you want to re-install BEFORE going ahead as this will save a lot of time [& frustration] later.

rodriguez 13:11 23 May 06

You should have had a Windows XP disc when you bought the computer. If not, then you should take it back to where you got it and ask them why they didn't give you one. It should also be a genuine copy of Windows as well. Some shops will copy the original disc and install the same copy on each machine without giving you a genuine disc because this saves them money. If they have done this then it's illegal. You'll find out if yours is an illegal copy because Microsoft have released a handy Windows Genuine Advantage component in Windows Update and this will soon pop up and tell you if it's an illegal copy. If your copy is illegal, you can click here to report them to Microsoft.

pj123 17:29 23 May 06

Before you do any type of formatting can you tell us why you want to do that?

ictlighthouse 09:26 24 May 06

thanks for the reply
i want to format because my pc is very slow. I have cleaned it and I have over 70% free space but still is very slow

VoG II 09:30 24 May 06
  Shortstop 09:35 24 May 06

Hi ictlighthouse,

Picking up on the valid question by pj123, this is a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut in this instance: it will work, but it involves a lot of work that may not be necessary.

Have you , for example, checked for spyware with Adaware or Spybot S&D [both free] as these can slow a PC down?

ictlighthouse 10:18 24 May 06

I have scan for all that as I have got bitdefender which stop all spyware, adaware etc

Shortstop 10:28 24 May 06

Personally, I have experiences of spyware loading when you install certain programs and Bitdefender misses it.

As both programs are free - and you have NOTHING to lose - I would download these, immediately update them, then run them just in case they help!

Ad-Aware click here
Spybot click here

ictlighthouse 10:35 24 May 06

thanks I will try them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…