How to format a Hard Drive?

sobeitjedi 18:55 15 Jul 04

Hi.

How can I format a computers' Hard Drive?

The computer in question is stand-alone and has no other drives - not even a floppy. It has no internet access or network access.

The OS is Windows 2000.

Ideally I want the PC to boot up straight to the DOS prompt but everytime it is booted, it goes straight into Windows.

Please help.

Dorsai 19:10 15 Jul 04

click here to get instructions on how to format a drive.

Without a floppy drive to boot from, and run the format program from, how are you going to get it to format? the format program has to be somwhere, and if you blank the HDD, you will erase the format prog. A bit like trying to 'raise oneself by ones own boot laces' me-thinks.

But once you have formated'd it? What do you want a pc with no software on for? It won't do a lot. just sit there saying 'c:' and making a nice door stop/paper weight.

without any way of putting programs on, like a floppy or CD, how will you get it to do what you do want to use it for?

Just asking. No malice. if i'm wronger than wrong can be, and dumber than a door stop say.

jonnytub 19:25 15 Jul 04

you can't, sorry to be blunt, but you need some of those critical components listed above, if you have 2000 on then there would have a device attached at some point???????????

Totally-braindead 19:25 15 Jul 04

I'm with Dorsai on this, the computer will do nothing, you can't format the drive from win 2000 because the operating system will be using the drive you're trying to format. The only way you can do it would be to boot from the floppy and forma

Totally-braindead 19:25 15 Jul 04

I'm with Dorsai on this, the computer will do nothing, you can't format the drive from win 2000 because the operating system will be using the drive you're trying to format. The only way you can do it would be to boot from the floppy and forma

Totally-braindead 19:27 15 Jul 04

Sorry hit the wrong key somehow, you'll need a floppy drive at least and what about a copy of DOS, do you have that and how are you going to install it without a floppy?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…