How To Format CDFS USB Drive

gaz_za 10:49 09 Oct 13

Hey all

I have this usb that comes with two partitions. the first partition is CDFS and is 2.8GB of the 4GB flash. I really want to format the USB so i can use the entire full 4GB.

I have tried diskpart, zero fill, U3 uninstaller however it is not being picked up, HP disk formatting utility, active killdisk, Paragon partition manager, partition magic, you can't do it through the computer manager and i am really over this thing now. just need to format it so i can use the full disk space.

the details for the flash are as follows:

Device Name: +USB Mass Storage Device

PnP Device ID: VID = 13FE PID = 4127 Serial Number: 070231EB9C008226 Revision: (Information not returned)

Device Type: Standard device - USB2.0 High-Speed

Chip Vendor: phison(??) Chip Part-Number: unknown(???)

Product Vendor: USB Product Model: Mass Storage Device

Tools on Web: click here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can anyone help me format this drive PLEASE! i don't know what to do anymore...

Gary

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 09 Oct 13

how to remove the CDFS partition & reformat it.

Download this

click here,

to your download folder or desktop and do a virus scan on it before extracting the files.

then run umptool2090.exe, click "settings", tick "need format"

then click the button 2nd from the right at the bottom of the form (the form isn't sized properly you may only see the top few pixels of the buttons so just tab until you get the correct button).

The settings form will close and the scan mode will show as "high level scan format".

Click the button that displays the drive letter & you should now have a clean drive with 1 partition.

lotvic 11:54 09 Oct 13

Fruit Bat /\0/\, that .rar file is not there anymore.

The link in gaz_za's post takes you to a Chinese site to download the other tool/programs to use (ChipGenius etc).

This makes me think that gaz_za is SPAMMER

info for those that don't know: The 4GB flash drive is one of those freebie promotional drives with advertising stuff on a 'virtual CD' partition.

IMHO Really for such a small size flash drive - not worth bothering with, chuck it in the bin.

gaz_za 12:53 09 Oct 13

Hey lotvic and fruit bat

I have a few of these drives and they use autorun and have drivers on for hardware bought. i would like to format these drives so i can use them in my car. don't want a bigger flash drive since it's a was of a drive.

i have tried relentlessly to format them and if anyone knows how or can figure it out i would be much apprenticed..

gaz_za 12:53 09 Oct 13

Hey lotvic and fruit bat

I have a few of these drives and they use autorun and have drivers on for hardware bought. i would like to format these drives so i can use them in my car. don't want a bigger flash drive since it's a was of a drive.

i have tried relentlessly to format them and if anyone knows how or can figure it out i would be much apprenticed..

lotvic 13:10 09 Oct 13

Well, ok then click here and see how they did it. Hope it helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 09 Oct 13

Ok try here

gaz_za 13:59 09 Oct 13

Thanks guy's i will give them a go and let you know what the result was

gaz_za 14:46 09 Oct 13

FAIL!!

This is freaking ridiculous! there must be a program that is able to pick it up and format the shit out of it... The usb and both partitions run fine on all computers so WTF!

sigh - the program that was downloaded from fruit bat had the program used by person in lotvics' forum. however the one program never worked at all and the other never picked up usb device

woodchip 15:31 09 Oct 13

No Idea if it will work but put the usb in then see what letter its got, right click MY Computer/Manage/Disc Manager if it lists the drive click on it to see if it will let you delete the partition or format it

woodchip 15:32 09 Oct 13

If it will choose Fat32 for format or generic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…