How to forbid the MSN

AntiMicrosoft 15:46 26 Mar 03

I am using XP professional. The boring and useless MSN will run automatically every time I use XP. I tried to forbid it but failed.

Firstly, I want to close it manually. But it always warned me that 'There are some application programmes are using functions offered by Windows Messenger. You had to close these programmes first...'. How can I run programmes after running the XP without open anything!

Later, I tried to modified the 'start configuration ' by typing 'msconfig' in the run window. And clear the tick before MSN option. While it didn't work! MSN appeared again after a long time when I restarted my pc!!

Anyone knows how to forbid the MSN?

Thank you!!

JoeC 15:50 26 Mar 03

Courtesy of click here :
Start > Run > type in ( or copy & paste ) RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Legolas 15:52 26 Mar 03

I found this way but have not tried it "go to run and enter" RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Legolas 15:53 26 Mar 03

SNAP

AntiMicrosoft 15:56 26 Mar 03

But i am running the MSN. It says that MSN should be closed before remove it.

So, how can I stop MSN?

JoeC 16:32 26 Mar 03

I removed it while in Safe Mode. I am sure there was an option in settings or whatever to stop it loading with Windows, but it has ben a long time since I got rid of it.

Dave Bowman 16:47 26 Mar 03

Is this any help?

click here

barrie_g 18:20 26 Mar 03

you can find what you want if you click here whether you want to disable it, stop it from running or removing it all together

Eagie 19:19 26 Mar 03

Why not just go to add/remove programs in the control panel. Select the 'add/remove windows components' option and then de-select windows messenger?

Windows will get rid of it without any messing around!

cream. 19:49 26 Mar 03

This may help.

Get rid of Windows Messenger

Start->Run->"gpedit.msc""
-Computer Configuration
-Administrative Templates
-Windows Components
-Windows Messenger

Here you can enable
"Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run"
and
"Do not automatically start Windows Messenger initially"

Sdram 19:58 26 Mar 03

I think this just removes Windows Messenger from the Start Menu.

I did succeed in renaming the Messenger folder, but when it came back after a Restore it wouldn't let me do this. Perhaps I did it in Safe Mode.

I had trouble using the Fix on the PC Advisor disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…